Reverse-DNS problem with e-mail

AnthonyG

New Email
Hello everyone!

I am currently working as a freelancer. My employer offered me an e-mail account based on a paid domain (i.e me@mydomain.com), to contact clients. The problem is that when I try to contact a specific person, I receive the following error:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
xxxxx@xxxx
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxxxxxx>:
host beta.reon.hu [80.249.163.22]: 550-No Reverse DNS for 176.223.120.xxx, please fix your reverse PTR
550 for questions email postmaster@reon.hu
------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
Return-path: <xxxxxxx>
Received: from [46.xxx.xx.89] (port=39974)
by uranus.mxserver.ro with esmtpa (Exim 4.80.1)
(envelope-from <xxxxx>)
id 1VdFuu-0000N4-N4
for xxxxx@xxxxx; Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:53:48 +0200
Message-ID: <5277609C.7070309@xxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:53:48 +0200
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.1.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Sxxxxxk <xxxx@xxxx>
Subject: Detaliere serviciu copywriting
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="------------010805010700080303080103"

The error appears regardless if I use the webmail or a desktop client, ssl/non-ssl connection.

The person that needs to receive the e-mail has me in his address book, and also was able to send me a test e-mail, that I received successfully.

Do you have any idea what should I do? Thanks alot.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Anthony,

You need to contact your ISP, who appears to be hostbase.net or webfactor.ro. The 176.223.120.0/24 network is missing reverse DNS PTR's. Some mail servers reject email when any IP address in headers does not have a PTR or has some other potential spammy characteristic such as being listed in an RBL. If your ISP refuses to to create the PTR, the best options will be to change ISP's, or you (or the company who hired you) can purchase Anonymous SMTP service from LuxSci. The anonymous SMTP service will fix the lack of PTR for you because their ail servers redeliver your email while sending and remove all traces of your information, including your IP address that doesn't have a PTR record, from the email headers. Some free email services do this too, such as Gmail, but it's possible you won't be able to send email From: your domain using those services either given your location in the world.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

AnthonyG

New Email
Hi popowich,

Indeed, you were right. However, in the meantime, the company I am working for contacted the hosting provider (being the same with the e-mail provider), and added a reverse record for the IP address. We have been informed to wait until it propagates, then use the e-mail without problem.

Thank you for your time!