Replying to a post

THERESA

Customer Service
I've noticed if I hit "reply" under a post, it quotes the entire previous post. On my phone, the reply button underneath a post stands out that's why I used it.

If I were on a desktop, I would just start my post in the box underneath it rather than click on "reply" like I've always done.

In my opinion, it is taking up a lot of unnecessary space and it's quite redundant. Is there a way to stop that from happening by default?

Hmm I might have just thought of the answer to this myself. Perhaps it's like the old "quote" someone on V Bulletin. Maybe it depends which post you click reply on to decide which post to quote. Did that make sense? I'm saying if there were several posts on one page, and I clicked "reply" on the second post, would it quote that one rather than the one directly above it? Maybe it's this softwares equivalent to "quote" on VBulletin.

Maybe we need to make a conscious effort to avoid the reply button unless it's really necessary.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I'm checking into it. When I click reply instead of using the quick reply box, the message I'm replying to get automatically quoted on desktop too.

THERESA

Customer Service
I just tested my theory regarding which post it quotes and I was right. I clicked reply on my original post and it tried quoting my post rather than yours.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Reply should always quote the post you're replying to. Clicking or tapping in the reply box is the equivalent to the reply button on vBulletin; it will post only what you've written without any quotes.

Good thing Ray disabled multi-quote or we'd really confuse everyone. :)

PS: If you highlight a post's text with your mouse you'll get an option just to quote that text. It's pretty cool.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If you highlight a post's text with your mouse you'll get an option just to quote that text

The highlight to quote selected text in a reply is a great tip!

Quote highlighted text in reply.jpg

THERESA

Customer Service
The highlight to quote selected text in a reply is a great tip!
It works by highlighting the specific quote on your phone too. A small "reply" pops up directly beneath it after you highlight it. Click on reply, and it pops up a box with the quote in it for you to comment on. Pretty cool.