Reinstalling Deleted Windows 7 Mail

lcminis

New Email
When I went from Outlook mail from all the previous versions of Windows, to the new interface for Windows 7, I absolutely HATED (that word is just not strong enough for how I feel about them changing it!) it. I ended up deleting it and instead, installed and have been using Mozilla Thunderbird because of it's closely resembling the old Windows email.

All was fine...UNTIL yesterday! I found out I have a Trojan in my email program that is mass mailing THOUSANDS of emails! I have knowledge of it doing this on 2 of my 3 accounts.

I have been using Norton as my AV program for many years, always loved it, never had a mishap with it, so I was wondering how on earth this Trojan virus got through. I called them, and learned from speaking to them, that they scan only Windows email and not others! I was NOT impressed! Needless to say, my lack of knowledge with that, resulted in a Trojan virus now. I have no idea how I can get rid of it, and I really don't want to have to buy/use various AV programs, so I am going to have to bite the bullet and switch over to Windows Mail. YUCK!

Can anyone tell me how I can get it back? Since I deleted it, I have no idea if it is even possible? OR, am I entitled to a new download free of change since I did buy it originally? Please advise. Thank you.

I was not sure if this should go under Windows Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird since it sort of relates to both, and maybe someone has some accurate information on how to get rid of this Trojan in my Thunderbird email as well. :confused: :thanks:

THERESA

Customer Service
Outlook express, Microsoft outlook, or outlook.com? (I'm pretty sure you didn't mean the last one)

lcminis

New Email
I guess it was Windows Outlook (Vista). Anyway, I was able to find the download and now have installed the Windows Live Mail that is supposed to be used with the Windows 7. BUT, I would still like to know if there is any way I can get rid of the Trojan virus that I supposedly have on the Thunderbird?? WHY would Norton not protecvt that program, since it is the same type of program as Outlook.

THERESA

Customer Service
Don't get me started on Norton!! I HATE them!! I paid for Norton years ago (I want to say roughly $60.00 for their antivirus program) and I also got a virus on my computer. I called them because when I ran the Norton program, it detected the virus but didn't remove it. I got a worker that BARELY spoke English and he told me that to walk me through the steps to remove the virus, it would cost $69.00!!!! Wasn't I paying for an ANTI virus to prevent infection from a virus to begin with????

It is highly frustrating when you are already upset due to having a virus on your computer and the company is ripping you off by charging for removal and then to add insult to injury, you have to talk to some off shore person that can BARELY speak your language!!! The man and I both had to continuously ask each other to repeat what the other was saying. What should have been a 10 minute phone call probably took 45 minutes. I was so mad by the end of the call, I couldn't see straight. I try to avoid using companies that force you to speak to their "workers" that do not speak English clearly. If I find out they use them, I stop doing business with them. You can't give workers a job working on phones speaking to customers if they can't even understand them. It's very bad customer service.

In case you are wondering, no, the steps are not steps that you can look up in the "help" section and do it yourself. You HAVE to call them and have them guide you through MANY steps to remove the virus. I almost wonder if they do this stuff to people on purpose to get more money. It is a complete racket and shady practice to allow people to get infected with a virus when they are paying you for your ANTI virus program and THEN CHARGING them a large sum of money to get rid of it. I would NEVER touch Norton again with a ten foot pole. I wouldn't use Norton on my 17 month old son's PLAY laptop!!!

There are free antivirus programs out there that have not given any trouble that I have heard. AVG and Avast! to name a couple. Try installing one of those programs and see if they detect and remove the virus for you.

Good luck!!!

lcminis

New Email
Thanks Theresa. I tried the AVG and it offers to do a scan, remove 50 items free of charge...well, mine supposedly had over 1200. I know they are not all virus related so I said screw it, I am not paying for another program. I will just have to switch over to a web based email, OR take the chances on getting my email re-infected. I called twice...both time were "off-shore" people you speak of, but the first one, a girl, I could understand well. Yesterday's call I had to keep telling the man I could not understand what he was saying, asking him to slow down and repeat himself. I was VERY frustrated after I got off the phone with them. What makes me most angry is to learn they protect only the Outlook/Outlook express email programs. Yes, they WILL block malicious email viruses from getting into the rest of your computer, but I need something that will protect my email also!!

Last edited by a moderator: