Receive delivery receipt then delivery failure

Winner

New Email
Hi I've got an email question regarding delivery receipts that my Google searches have been unable to answer.

I'm doing a large mailout for a survey. In the mailout, I turned delivery receipt on in MS Outlook. For many emails, I subsequently received the following message (note I've changed the email addresses and domains to x's for privacy):

The original message was received at Thu, 26 May 2011 21:48:57 -0400 from xxxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxx.CA [130.113.64.46]

----- The following addresses had successful delivery notifications ----- <xxxxxx@hotmail.com> (relayed to non-DSN-aware mailer)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- <xxxxxxx@hotmail.com>... relayed; expect no further notifications

Then a little while later I got this message:

The original message was received at Thu, 26 May 2011 21:49:27 -0400 (EDT) from xxxxxx.UTS.xxxxxx.CA [130.113.196.61]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>
(reason: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mx4.hotmail.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
550 5.1.1 <xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>... User unknown <<< 503 Need Rcpt command.

I got messages like this from many emails, especially Hotmail. My question is, in light of getting both a delivery receipt and a delivery failure, was the email received by the user or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris