Question Mark

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

What is the function of the question mark that you are trying to find?

Is there a question mark in another email program or service that you use?

:welcome: to Email Questions!

ctaylor

New Email
Hi, I just want to put a question mark at the end of a sentence...that's it.
Used to Outlook not Thunderbird.

foggy

Valued Member
I don't know if this is actually a joke question, but how could you have typed the first sentence in your initial post (the one with the question mark) and not know that the question mark is a key on your computer keyboard ?

ctaylor

New Email
Foggy,
Have some faith in your fellow 'users'.
I am sending this question for my sister who has just had Thunderbird installed on her home computer.
I use Outlook and do not have a problem.
I'm just trying to help someone out....:(

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
When typing a new email have her check Options -> Character Encoding

What is selected? Try fixing to be ISO-8859-1 if needed.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

foggy

Valued Member
Foggy,
Have some faith in your fellow 'users'.
I am sending this question for my sister who has just had Thunderbird installed on her home computer.
I use Outlook and do not have a problem.
I'm just trying to help someone out....

My apologies. Didn't mean to offend. :) But there have been the occasional joking/spamming/trolling types of posts to various forums around the internet, so some of us are on the lookout for such things. And you have to admit, when you said you couldn't find the question mark in T-Bird and that you wanted to put it "at the end of a sentence" while you were also using the question mark in your first post — without mentioning it was actually someone else's problem — it was easy to misinterpret. ;) And it's just an odd thing to read that someone is looking for a question mark — a keyboard punctuation key — somewhere "in" an email client.

In any case, is your sister used to looking for punctuation marks somewhere "in" email clients rather than using the punctuation keys on the keyboard ? What client did she use before having T-Bird installed ? Did she add punctuation to emails by using something other than the computer keyboard in that client ?

Does your sister have any problems with using the question mark in other situations ? Like typing a post for a message board or in a search engine ? If so, perhaps the key on the keyboard is not functioning properly for some reason.

Or it may turn out to be the character encoding as Ray suggests. Btw, though I don’t have/use T-Bird myself, I believe there is a way to insert ‘characters’ (like the degree symbol, the ‘cent’ symbol, etc.). Perhaps there is a question mark available in that location. :confused:

ctaylor

New Email
Thank you Foggy.
I had explained the situation in my original question when I first registered. Sorry you were misled.
I personally have never used or even seen Thunderbird so have no idea why there is a problem with this. All I know is that she says it is so different....
I will be seeing her this coming weekend so will check it out myself.
Thanks for your assistance.;)