Qmail Messages In Queue

All,

I have installed qmail on debian, and am able to receive messages from third party servers including Google and internal services on the platform itself (I have verified this inside webmin in the qmail console). I have installed vpopmail, and alpine for terminal access to mail files.

I have used vpopmail to create the right accounts and the directories exist in the right place, and I used webmin to provision the users from Qmail to the right account. Everything looks fine, but mail is not delivering as specified. Any help would be most appreciated. I have read most of the top sites and have completed the basic tasks including compiled output.

I have applied the appropriate qmail patches from these sites:
a) Setting up an SMTP service
b)Qmail-TLS patch

I have a couple of other install problems:
1) I would like to point alpine to read the same folders or to share the mail between Alpine and vpopmail if thats possible.
2) I need to configure tls and believe I have created certificates as needed, but the server is not responding appropriately to STARTTLS.

Thanks again.
Stewart

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Stewart,

Are trying to reach the mailboxes over IMAP? Does webmin provide a webmail that you're trying to use?

Check your qmail-send logs. Where do they show the email delivering? Is your /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains file getting updated correctly with the new domains?

I have not used webmin with vpopmail. Does it use the MySQL backend? Are the mailboxes under /home/vpopmail or somewhere else?

Hi Stewart,

Are trying to reach the mailboxes over IMAP? Does webmin provide a webmail that you're trying to use?

Check your qmail-send logs. Where do they show the email delivering? Is your /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains file getting updated correctly with the new domains?

I have not used webmin with vpopmail. Does it use the MySQL backend? Are the mailboxes under /home/vpopmail or somewhere else?

Ok I have not gotten to the point where I need to attempt to troubleshoot the POP/IMAP client authentication. my problem is my mail simply isnt being delivered to the POP box in the first place.
In addition, I have read that its possible to use ~HOMEDIR/mail as a possibility instead which would allow me to support ALPINE as well which uses that old sendmail structure.

SF - Webmin allows you to administer qmail pretty efficiently without patching. Thats not my problem. Qmail is installed properly. I use mxtoolbox.com with the right MX and my sites are responding,
and I can telnet to port 25 and I am getting a receipt. I am also receiving gmail information fine to Qmail, but they are not delivering to the user boxes. I saw another thread on another site that
the .qmail file needs to be in the user box, and I have done that too.

But I am new to qmail and dont know how to troubleshoot the delivery problem. I have tried Dovecot, VPopmail(which is now installed) and Courier and I cant find anyone who has completed
these tasks except for on vpopmail. I got frustrated so thats where I thought I would start.

At the PRESENT I am using the default directory which uses the vpopmail home directory is in /home/vpopmail as follows:

root@hostname:/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.info#

And my specific user information is in
cur new tmp
root@cts3cxinternal:/home/vpopmail/domains/capitoltechnology.info/acme.user/Maildir# (with cur, new, tmp) being subdirectories.

I can run the following commands fine:
home/vpopmail/bin/vadduser acme.user@domain.info 123

As for your other questions:

1) I have looked at the virtualdomains file and its showing the following:
domain.info:domain.info (which I think is right)
2) I am not using the Mysql plugins at the present time.
3) I see nothing in the log files either send or SMTPD.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Telnet to port 25. What's listening? Is it qmail or is it something else like sendmail or postfix?

Try a "ps -auxwww" and look for the readproctitle process. Do you see an errors associated with it?

What's the path for domain.info and what are the instructions in it's qmail files for those users, and the .qmail-default file (if it exists)

Do you see logs someplace unexpected such as /var/log/messages or /var/log/maillog ?