Problems with hosts blocked emails...

terri232

New Email
I have a host and am constantly receiving emails being returning that I have sent to email addresses at AOL and Yahoo. The problem is I am using a shared server and would assume that other users are either sending out huge amounts or mail or sending spam and I suffer because my emails are not being received. My host does eventually get back on track however it happens very often.
I have Outlook 2007 - Windows 7
Is there any way that I can circumvent this from happening?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Is this a residential or business email question?

Also, double check your log files if you have them to make sure a script on your web site is not getting abused.

There is no way to work around the problem if you're sharing an smtp server with other users. The host might be willing to block and fix the top offenders on demand but it's a viscous cycle that will never end. To really fix the problem you'll need to set yourself up with your own outgoing mail server or get some other form of dedicated email sending service.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

terri232

New Email
Thanks for your speedy reply - how would I set myself up with my own outgoing mail server? I am not too savvy about these things at all.

It is a small business that I run from my residence and my host has also offered me my own dedicated IP for $25 per month.

I would appreciate your advice!

terri232

New Email
How would I set myself up withmy own outgoing mail server? My host has offered me a dedicated email sending service for $25 per month. I have a small business I run out of my residence...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Terry,

Is this a question about sending mail lists or are you only sending general business emails to one customer at a time?

For less than $25/month you can have a small dedicated smtp server for your company hosted within Amazon AWS that is sued for sending general business emails. You'd need to hire someone to create and maintain it, but you would be the only company using your IP address. I think this is one step better than getting a static IP from your ISP. If sending from your ISP works then go for it, but if you continue to have email deliverability issues maybe launching your own server within Amazon would help.

There is a lot more to sending mailing lists than having a mail program and a dedicated IP from your ISP. You will also need to manage your bounce messages and other errors, clean your lists, support and keep the mail server and service upgraded so it doesn't get hacked, and hope that an abuse complaint does not result in your ISP turning off your internet connection for a couple days while they figure out what's going on.

I think it's best leave sending mailing lists to the experts such as MailChimp.

Additional email newsletter services are listed on our Email Marketing Reviews page.