Problems accessing Yahoo Mail

timd

New Email
For the past week I have been unable to access my Yahoo Mail account from my work PC (i.e., the PC which is owned by my employer). Typically when I log into Yahoo Mail on this machine I first see the attached page named Screen 1.JPG (the screen without the Yahoo Mail header) for 2 or 3 seconds.

I am then taken to the page named Screen 2.gif (the screen with the Yahoo Mail header).

I can see none of the news headlines which are normally posted on the “What’s New” tab. More serious than that, I am unable to access my Inbox or Contacts; my cursor changes to a hand when I hover over these tabs but the screen doesn’t move when I click them. When I hover over “Options” at the top of the screen, my cursor changes to an hourglass.

I can access Yahoo Mail from my home machine. The one potentially significant difference between the two machines is that my work machine is still running IE7 while my home machine is running IE8.

I have cleared the cache and cookies on my work machine with no effect. My employer’s information security policies prohibit us from loading software on company owned PC’s without approval, so upgrading my browser to IE8 is not an option, nor is loading another browser such as Chrome.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen 1.jpg
    Screen 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,097
  • Screen 2.jpg
    Screen 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,503

THERESA

Customer Service
Your employer probably also forbids you from accessing outside email accounts such as yahoo. It may be a warning that it is being partially blocked and trying to work around it may cost you your job. You should find out what their policies are before continuing to find a solution.

timd

New Email
Actually we are permitted to access web mail such as Yahoo and Gmail. That policy was changed several years ago.

THERESA

Customer Service
Try switching back to yahoo classic and do not choose to switch back to the newer one if asked if it works by switching to the classic version. Use this LINK
Please let us know if it works. Thanks

timd

New Email
It didn't work. The first time through after changing my resolution I got the same screens as the ones I attached. I tried clearing my cache and cookies again and got a screen suggesting that I update my browser. When I indicated that I didn't want to, I got the same two screens.

THERESA

Customer Service
It's most likely because IE is not updated. Since the company is not updating it, you may have to switch to an email you can check from work. (maybe gmail?)

timd

New Email
I also have a Gmail account which works just fine on my work machine, but I hope that someone else has some suggestions since I've never used Gmail for much of anything, all my contacts are in Yahoo, and the Yahoo address is one which I have given people.

Thanks for taking the time to help though.

THERESA

Customer Service
Maybe someone else has a suggestion. The only thing I can think of is to switch over to gmail for work. Sorry and good luck.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
It looks like something (security software, adblocker etc) it blocking CSS and javascript from Yahoo mail.

timd

New Email
This is interesting. This morning when I got to the page with the Yahoo Mail header and nothing in the body, I right clicked and selected "View Source". The result when loaded into Word was 43 pages of single spaced HTML. That's an awful lot for a page which is blank.

Upon closer inspection, I found that within the HTML were things like:
  • Items listed in the "Trending Now" section which Yahoo puts on this page
  • Current news headlines that are posted on the page
  • The header of a portion of the emails in my Inbox
  • A message that said:
"Slow Connection. It appears that Yahoo! Mail is loading more slowly than usual. For faster performance, you may switch to basic Mail view, which disables extra features like Yahoo! Messenger and rich text. You'll return to regular Yahoo! Mail next time you sign in on a faster connection. You can also change back by selecting "Show Full Features" under the Help menu."
It appears that the page is being returned but not rendered properly. Does this provide any clue in determining the problem?