Private Emails?

Phil Mette

New Email
Is This Possible:

About 10 years ago, +-, on a personal computer a supervisor, Joe say, sets up email accounts for other users, e.g. kids. They are set up so that he also has access to them without the kids knowing. Those kids keep using their email accounts on other computers. Does Joe continue to have access to those email accounts - so he can observe the emails?

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Phil,

Yes it is possible that the supervisor/dad still has access to the users/kids email.

The best way for them to rule that out, going forward, is to enable 2 factor authentication if their mail service supports it, change their passwords, and verify all of their other account settings and information as if they were cleaning up a hacked email account.

Here are some examples for popular mail services:

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo...yahoo-mail-account-after-its-been-hacked.html

http://www.emailquestions.com/hotma...l-password-regain-control-hacked-account.html

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Phil Mette

New Email
Trying to communicate here:
Re: Private Emails
Continuing with my first question - If the kids used their email to create another email could their dad (Joe in my example) have access to it as well?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What do you mean by used the email to create another email?

The original email is the alternate email address used for account recovery (password resets etc) by the new account?

If that's the case I'd think you know if the password on the new account was reset.

A new strong password and 2 factor authentication virtually eliminated any concerns.

Even if "dad" gets the new password they should have access to the 2FA auth needed to login.

If the new account is an alias or alternate login, for example a Yahoo alias, yes both accounts have access to the same emails.

What email service hosts the original account?

Which email service hosts the new account?