Private Domain Registrations

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I find this hard to believe but do you think your email is less likely to be delivered to the inbox at major ISP's if your domain name whois data is protected by a private registration?

For example, our whois data is private, and does not display my home or business address :

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (Domain Names, Web Hosting and SSL Certificates - Go Daddy)
Domain Name: EMAILQUESTIONS.COM
Created on: 13-Jan-02
Expires on: 13-Jan-15
Last Updated on: 09-Dec-10

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration EMAILQUESTIONS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
+1.4806242599 Fax -- +1.4806242598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration EMAILQUESTIONS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
+1.4806242599 Fax -- +1.4806242598

Domain servers in listed order:
NS01.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS02.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I doubt it. Only because spammers are less likely to pay out for private registration but companies like 1&1 offer it free.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I was reading that the logic is that if you are not willing to provide a publicly listed email contact then they are a little less likely to land you in the inbox. I have a couple issues with that logic since 1) abuse@ is an email address that work as a contact for any domain if there is not an abuse listed in the whois listing and 2) I can't imagine the registrars would like it if all the big ISP's were doing massive amounts of whois lookups. It doesn't take many to get blocked as a suspected automated whois lookup source. Yes, it's also true that some registrars such as NetFirms provide the private registration service for free.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Yeah but the big boys are also domain registrars so they have direct access to WHOIS data. MS, Google, Yahoo, etc are all accredited registrars they can automate the lookups without getting blocked for abuse.