Pop-up Ads abuse - blocking

MacPherson1

Valued Member
I use Yahoo Mail the free version. I can accept a limited amount of ads for example banner ads in my mailbox headings as part of the service. But I find that my Android mobile gets swamped with continual repeated pop-up ads throughout the messages in both the Inbox and Sent messages folders, and this is excessive. How can I prevent this abuse?

I have tried managing my cookies within Verison but to no avail.

Surprisingly I don't seem to have the same problem when accessing my Yahoo account from my desktop (W7, Chrome) where I have Adblock Plus installed. But with the mobile you seem to get only Adblock Browser which is ineffective.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yahoo does not have a mechanism to block ads on mobile unless you purchase a paid account. The ads can be hidden on desktop, but not on mobile.

MacPherson1

Valued Member
Interesting, I suppose because it is in Yahoo's interests for these ads to appear. Does that mean that literally none of the (mobile) ad blockers will work??? I am surprised that there have not been a deluge of complaints up to now. On some links there are literally more ads than text (which is self defeating)

What is confusing is that I have also an Android tablet which I also use for Yahoo mails occasionally, and this does not appear to have the same problem.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
How are you reading your Yahoo mail? It sounds like one of the web browsers?

Have you tried the Yahoo Mail app or another email app using IMAP to read your email?

MacPherson1

Valued Member
This is where it gets complicated (for me). I think I just downloaded and installed Yahoo as an app having previously used Samsung Mail if memory serves me. I wouldn't know how to use a web browser for this (if I am not using it already, unknowingly) and I don't understand IMAP. But if your advice is to try installing and using another email reader app which would allow me to log in to my Yahoo correspondence, but without all the ads, that could be an inspired solution! Any suggestions?

MacPherson1

Valued Member
Sorry I think you've lost me there. Is this not what I most likely have already (which provides all the ads)? Whilst what I thought you were recommending was an alternative email reader app that would allow me to access my Yahoo mails as before but without all the ads. I did a quick search on the net and there are quite a number listed, enough to be confusing.

MacPherson1

Valued Member
I looked up Microsoft Outlook in PlayStore. The description states "Contains Ads". May be not to the extent that I'm experiencing from Yahoo Mail. Mixed reviews. Having had my fingers burned I'd prefer an app that was ad free (if this exists??)

MacPherson1

Valued Member
I found that I had already got Gmail installed on my mobile so I activated that - and was able in the end to access my Yahoo emails apparently without the pop-ups. I thought I would try the same trick with Samsung Mail - but failed.