Please help me find a no nonsense email service.

TruePurple

New Email
I refuse to give any information to email providers. But they don't like that, they think they are our mothers.

I've lost permanent access to both hotmail and gmail accounts because of their invasive touchy "security" protocols.
Gmail
"We've detected unusual activity on the account you're trying to access. To continue, please follow the instructions below. Provide a phone number to continue. We'll send a verification code you can use to sign in."

So what, anyone with a phone can access my account, that's security to you clowns?!? Well you aren't getting my my phone number. I tried smsreceivefree.com textnow.me, even googles own program to try and fool it, but it says those numbers have been used too many times for verification with all of those.

So fine, hotmail accounts lost, gmail accounts lost. I just had ALL of my correspondence on them. Well its been more than a year since I lost access to them anyway.

So I need a email service that doesn't ask for phone number or block me for cryptic reasons (or ever, just my name and secure password should be enough)

Some other services I've tried.

Safe-mail.net.
Pros, no dumb "security" problems, log in real simple and direct. Loads fast.
Cons. 3mb space. I never download my emails. I just leave them on the email provider. Just a few ad emails from some of the online stores I buy from quickly fill that up. Plus one of my accounts with them is innudated with spam. No matter how many domains I block they just keep coming. And their system for marking for spam and then deleting is super duper cumbersome, slow, difficulty to use. It takes forever to just work my way through a bit of spam, blocking, deleting etc, and for it to never do any good anyway. They never reply to emails either.

yandex.com
pros, plenty of space, online storage for files. Rather transparent and somewhat easy to use.

Cons. buggers like tracking you. It allows you to see a history of when, what and where you do everything, which means it records all that. And no seeming way to disable this. Worse, digging through the help file it has a autoblock system too. So at least if I am careless and ever use it on Tor or VPN then I get blocked. Just no, never block!

Uknown whether they reply, I just made an account with them today and send support inquiry. It was not easy to find their support ticket thing anyway.

mail.com. I see in another thread on this forum that they have blocked people, and that their support never replies.

Openmailbox.org
Unknown if they ever track IPs etc and block etc. But their support never replies and everything in it is super slow. Logging in, changing boxes etc. Every action requires like 15 second wait or something. Also hard to figure out how to use alot of it.

Juno was mentioned, but trying to sign up it requires alot of personal information, even if it doesn't ask for phone number in first page (maybe it asks next page anyway) and checks veracity too. I tried entering random gibberish for an address and it recognized that it wasn't a legit address. I could spend a bunch of time trying to fool it. But if it's this invasive and finicky up front, probably not worth it.

Other services like yahoo require phone verification now.

Email service with my ISP. Works fine. But since my ISP service prices have shot up, I need to switch to someone else. And with the new ones, maybe I'll need to switch again in the future. I need a portable online web email service that is completely ISP independent.

Also some email service providers block emails from certain domains without your permission or control, like my ISP does as I learned when I tried to send a mail from my safe-mail.net email to my ISP email.

So can anyone please point me to a free web email service that meets my requirements? No phone requirements, never blocking, decent mail storage space size, spam filter that works well, limited/no tracking (more optional, I can live with some tracking if the rest match up)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Try ProtonMail.com. They're one of the leaders for private email services, and have a limited free tier that may meet your needs. Please let us know if their service works out for you.

TruePurple

New Email
So are you sure protonmail.com will never block me? (aside from repeated failed password and such) No IP address tracking and/or a way to disable such? Much can be determined up front but the blocking issue is a stealthy bugger that you don't want to settle into a new email service and get all your correspondence directed towards it only to have it rear its ugly head.

Also their free service, 150 messages a day, is that incoming and outgoing? What happens if you hit the cap?

I see in the paid version "Labels, Custom Filters, and Folders" meaning the free version lacks such things. It's not a requirement but being able to get emails sorted into different folders is pretty handy. having signed up, I see I can make new folders, but can I set it to automatically sort all of X emails into said folder? I don't see an option.

Any other free email services you can recommend?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I can't promise it, I don't run the service. Do your homework, but that's the first one that comes to mind based on your requirements.

TruePurple

New Email
TY! Digging into it, I did find a way to make different emails sort into different folders. A quick search of protomail and block talks about turkey blocking their services, not protmail blocking their customers. Plus since it's meant to work with the likes of Tor and VPN it probably won't have any issues with my ISP, browser, OS, device, etc changing ever so often, so I am guessing I never have to worry about blocking. Plus registeration was a super snap and a promising start, no asking for name or address, I was even able to opt out of any security question after clicking past a warning that I might simply lose access to my emails permanently if I ever forget my password. Well safer than risking permanent access lost because of blocking for sure.

So yeah, this looks real promising. 500mb isn't much but it's a hell of alot more than safe-mails 3mb. Presumably nothing to stop me from getting multiple accounts too to spread things around.

It also has the security thing if I ever want to get into that, could even possibly be worth upgrading to pay but not sure how much it costs in dollars or whether there would be any issues with credit cards with different currencies from another country.

Is there any other names you can throw my way for me to check out?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Mail Collection is when an email service allows you to pull in email from your other email accounts by providing your POP3 and IMAP credentials for the other services.