Password retention problem

cag28

New Email
I have been an Outlook Express/Windows Mail fan for many years, despite being told that they are not very good. I and all the people I help have used them as they are nice and easy to use. I now have a new toshiba laptop with Windows 7 setup and I have a copy of Outlook which I decided I would learn being the closest thing to what I have been using and very frustrated as the programme will not save passwords for my 7 email addresses. Despite ticking the save password box. Please can someone explain what I need to do to make the thing remember my passwords and why is it forgetting them? I do not wish to try other programmes as I have been advised in the past, as I did use Opera for a few years but found it hard.:thanks:

cag28

New Email
I have looked at the Microsoft supposed solutions and my early conclusion is that they are of no help. Windows 7 and using an old Outlook appears to be incompatible. If I do find a solution I will be happy to share. I was hoping someone on this forum would have a simple answer. A download fix or at least some advice. So at the moment I remain looking for an answer. Surely someone has cracked this?:innocent::thanks:

foggy

Valued Member
Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 and have Outlook 2007 installed. Although I have moved to using webmail almost exclusively, I was using Outlook earlier this year and, as I recall, had this password problem.

Now, the bad news.... I don't recall how I solved it. :rolleyes: I believe it was a matter of going into Options > Account Settings and then clicking to highlight the account in question and then clicking "change." Then I had to update/modify the 'logon information' to the appropriate username & password.

The reason is that, in my case, I think I was getting the failed password retention because I had changed the password to an account at the webmail interface but didn't change it in Outlook. So, when trying to send/receive from Outlook, the box popped up saying it couldn't log on. At that point I remembered that I had changed the password at the webmail but not yet in Outlook, so I proceeded to changed it, but only in the pop-up logon dialog box, NOT in the Account Settings, which was why it wasn't 'sticking.' Once I changed it in the Account Settings, I was back in business. :D

I'm not entirely sure I remember my situation accurately, and I obviously have no clue whether this might help you or not, since I suspect my problem was quite different from yours. :( But I hope it might help a little.

cag28

New Email
Hi, I am using an old Office XP (which I prefer) and I think the Outlook is 2002, which is what is the problem. Microsoft are not offering a 'solution' for the older Outlook. I assume they will say 'not supported'.The change you mention is how you put the passwords in and just to repeat my problem is that it will not retain them even if the remember password box is ticked. At the moment I am using a quick shut down programme which allows me to put my laptop on standby and that way I do not lose my passwords, but I would like to solve the Outlook problem on a permanent basis. Anyone out there who has done?:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I've spent some time reading many discussions about this topic and believe this is the best technical description of the problem and possible resolution :

Outlook 2002: It runs, but email account passwords are not saved. After you enter the password during the first email check, Outlook will remember it until you close down Outlook. This is because Outlook used the protected storage interfaces to store passwords and these are no longer supported in Vista. Unless Microsoft decides to create a publicly available hotfix to address this, you won't be able to save passwords. Outlook 2002 is outside of mainstream support so this is unlikely to happen as it's not a critical security hole.

OLAutoPW automates the Network Password Entry for POP3 and IMAP accounts in Outlook 2002/XP SP3 on Windows Vista/Windows 7.

cag28

New Email
Thanks for your research and confirming what I thought so my option is to put up with it or use another email program. Any suggestions which are the best - maybe back to Opera??:thanks:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I generally stick to the Gmail webmail interface.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird on my computer when I want to do something with POP3/IMAP.