Outlook Replacement Again

RwG

New Email
I think Outlook (2010) is great but it does more than I need and at the same time does not meet all my requirements.

I use different PCs and travel occasionally with my laptop. I always used to use a pop account mainly because I wanted all my messages (history) stored so that I can refer back as far as 1986. Yes I know sad but it has come in handy and is probably more important now that I am getting old and forgetful:)

I eventually moved over to Imap which meant that I could see all my sent messages on any PC. I then had to sync messages with a pop account so I could store them in the way I have always used. This was a problem because I prefer to set up and forget. I then discovered I did not have my calendar with Imap so I had to set up the account using pop just to keep my calendar and contacts working. This was a problem as the pop told the Imap server that the emails had been read. My calendar would not sync with my iPhone so I had to have and iCloud calendar/contacts too. This interfered with my Outlook contacts, they disappeared. I now have multiple accounts, contacts and calendars. I manually had to sync the items from my Outlook calendar to my iCloud calendar.

So I started to look for a replacement for Outlook 2010 but it seems that there isn't one. Yes there are lots of clients that will do some of the things I need. But I really wanted just one client that I could set up and forget.
I thought Thunderbird may be useful as it seems to be very configurable. I set it up as Imap and connected to my 1&1 account. It quickly downloaded my messages but quite a few without dates. As I list my emails by date it meant that all these emails were at the top with no way to move them except manually. New messages would be stored further down and not visible in the current view. These messages did have dates as I can see them in Outlook 2010.

So now I am lost and confused. If there isn't a client that will do everything I want then there must be an easier process that I can follow as I have obviously got over complicated.

I need a client or a process to allow me to access my emails, calendar and contacts on any PC plus my iPhone/iPad and at the same time keep everything in sync automatically.

I need the Roboform version of Outlook:)

One of you at least must have similar needs so how do YOU do it?

Fingers crossed,
RWG

RwG

New Email
Hmm, a slight improvement. I have discovered that I can have just the calendar and contacts in one pst file and that I can backup the messages in the Imap pst. For some reason I kept thinking the Imap was .ost. It has been a while since I used Exchange:-(

Still would prefer everything in one file but at least I can manage my email history better now.

This isn't finished so your ideas and comments still appreciated.

RwG