outlook express/hotmail setup

sandyhar

New Email
Hi,

Problem configuring outlook to work with hotmail.

mail from hotmail ends up in outlook outbox but is not sent.

Error codes are:

0x...C0F, C18, C90.

Also, the MSN logo is no longer present in the outlook files.

Thanks,

Sandy:hammer:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Sandy,

Here are the directions for setting up a Hotmail pop3 account :

http://www.emailquestions.com/hotmail/227-do-i-configure-my-hotmail-msn-email-account-work-pop3.html

Make sure you have the port number set correctly for sending email and that you do not have a firewall r virus scanner blocking your outgoing email.

Also, you don't have to use the Hotmail servers for sending email. You can also try to use your ISP's outgoing mail server for sending email. It appears that mail.bellsouth.net may be the smtp server for your internet connection.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

reble

New Email
I have had Outlook Express setup and working right to send and receive email. I can't figure why it isn't working now. I can receive but can 't send. I get the following error message.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'steve-kc7byp', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E:hammer:

Hi Sandy,

Here are the directions for setting up a Hotmail pop3 account :

http://www.emailquestions.com/hotmail/227-do-i-configure-my-hotmail-msn-email-account-work-pop3.html

Make sure you have the port number set correctly for sending email and that you do not have a firewall r virus scanner blocking your outgoing email.

Also, you don't have to use the Hotmail servers for sending email. You can also try to use your ISP's outgoing mail server for sending email. It appears that mail.bellsouth.net may be the smtp server for your internet connection.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Re: outlook express/hotmail setup 0x800CCC0E

Hello,

Outlook Express error code 0x800CCC0E is a generic "failed to connect to server" message.

Did you recently add or change any of your anti-virus or firewall programs?

It's possible that one of them is blocking port 25 that is used for sending email.

What company provides your internet service? It's also possible they started blocking outgoing port 25 if you are on a residential connection.

reble

New Email

I am extend stay at Days Inn motel Kennewick Wa. On a wireless router that the motel has. Everything was working fine until a few days ago. I have no idea whats going on. No changes to anti-virus or firewall. Hotmail it self on the brouser is working fine. i just can't send from outlook express via hotmail:hammer:

Hello,

Outlook Express error code 0x800CCC0E is a generic "failed to connect to server" message.

Did you recently add or change any of your anti-virus or firewall programs?

It's possible that one of them is blocking port 25 that is used for sending email.

What company provides your internet service? It's also possible they started blocking outgoing port 25 if you are on a residential connection.

reble

New Email

I still have the problem. Can anyone please help me?

I am extend stay at Days Inn motel Kennewick Wa. On a wireless router that the motel has. Everything was working fine until a few days ago. I have no idea whats going on. No changes to anti-virus or firewall. Hotmail it self on the brouser is working fine. i just can't send from outlook express via hotmail:hammer:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

The hotel is most likely blocking outbound port 25.

I tried calling the hotel to find out if they have specific directions for the Days Inn in WA but the person who answered the phone couldn't answer the question.

Lets try sending email on a different port. This probably isn't the best answer but it might get you working. Create a Gmail account (if you don't already have one) and then use these directions to update your outgoing smtp mail server settings :

After configuring your Gmail account with the additional From: addresses that you would like to send as, use the following information to configure the SMTP outgoing email server information in your email program:

• Outgoing SMTP mail server: smtp.gmail.com
  • Use authentication: Yes
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Use SSL/TLS: Yes[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Port: 587[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Account name: Your full gmail address[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Email address: The full email address that you want to send From:
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Password: Your Gmail Password[/SIZE][/FONT]

Are you able to send email now?

reble

New Email
I already have an email account at gmail. I was able to send out a test email to my self via Outlook Express. I used to be able to send an email out via Hotmail using Outlook Express at this motel. The only reason I changed to Hotmail is because Gmail did away with mass email dump. You now have to check every email one at a time.

Hello,

The hotel is most likely blocking outbound port 25.

I tried calling the hotel to find out if they have specific directions for the Days Inn in WA but the person who answered the phone couldn't answer the question.

Lets try sending email on a different port. This probably isn't the best answer but it might get you working. Create a Gmail account (if you don't already have one) and then use these directions to update your outgoing smtp mail server settings :

Are you able to send email now?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

This isn't for checking email, only for sending. If you confirm your Hotmail address as an alias within Gmail you can configure your Outlook Express to pop email from Hotmail, and to send your emails out using the Gmail servers.

reble

New Email
I don't understand what you are saying.

Hello,

This isn't for checking email, only for sending. If you confirm your Hotmail address as an alias within Gmail you can configure your Outlook Express to pop email from Hotmail, and to send your emails out using the Gmail servers.