Outlook Express Error 0x800c0133 (corrupted inbox file)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Outlook Express Error 0x800c0133 (corrupted inbox file)

It may be possible to fix the problem using these steps :
  1. Open Outlook Express
  2. Click "Local Folders" in the left side navigation
  3. Select New Folder and name it TEMP
  4. If possible move all of the email from your Inbox to the TEMP folder
  5. Go to menu bar and select Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Store Folder and then write down the location of your inbox
  6. Close Outlook Express,
  7. Use My Computer to go to the location is step 5 and then delete the file inbox.dbx
  8. Open Outlook Express - The Inbox folder should be auto recreated.
  9. Move your email from the TEMP folder back to your Inbox

Last edited:

adoch11

New Email
Thank you so much for your help to resolve this issue. I had googled the error msg for help and after trying to download a tool to fix without success, I followed your instructions to delete the inbox.dbx file and it worked like a charm. I have been without email on this computer for about a month not knowing how to correct the issue. So will definitely come back here if I need help again!

Adoch11:thanks:

roleli

New Email
This is a great help. Just one thing also. On 32bit machines you Outlook Express mailbox size has a limit of 2GB.

If you have to save message archive and use folders to ensure you do not hit the limit.

onlinenz

Greylisted
Hi folks.
This is probably a simpler fix.
It is probably caused by your spam folder being full on the server.
To fix: login to your "webmail" account and select "spam" folder. select "all" and delete them.
Close outlook and reopen it and your emails should start flowing again.
Regards, Bruce

annashaily

Greylisted
To fix outlook error 0x800c013, you have to rename inbox.dbx file.
And for this go to start button and type inbox.dbx in the search box and hit enter.
Navigate the inbox.dbx file and right click it and click on rename.
Rename the inbox.dbx file to inbox.old .
Then start outlook when the outlook starts then it automatically create new inbox.dbx.

Sniper41m

New Email
@popowich

The solution for this error shows checking the size of inbob.dbx

Go to menu bar and select Tools -> Options -> Maintenance -> Store Folder and then write down the location of your inbox

but this is applicable for only outlook express. But the current Outlook 2007, 2010 and onwards doesn't have this option. So how to find inbox.dbx file in recent outlook included in the office package?

JPH

New Email
Hi folks.
This is probably a simpler fix.
It is probably caused by your spam folder being full on the server.
To fix: login to your "webmail" account and select "spam" folder. select "all" and delete them.
Close outlook and reopen it and your emails should start flowing again.
Regards, Bruce

To fix outlook error 0x800c013, you have to rename inbox.dbx file.
And for this go to start button and type inbox.dbx in the search box and hit enter.
Navigate the inbox.dbx file and right click it and click on rename.
Rename the inbox.dbx file to inbox.old .
Then start outlook when the outlook starts then it automatically create new inbox.dbx.

This reply to the OE error 0x800c0133 doesn't work for me. My Inbox states it has 186 unread messages but nothing is visible. After closing OE and navigating from My Computer to inbox.dbx, I can't delete or rename it since "the file is being used by another person or programme" It seems this is happening because the previous keystroke ("OUTLOOK EXPRESS") as well as displaying all the email files also displays the Outlook Express tab. Closing this also closes the display of email files. Meanwhile the Inbox remains steadfastly empty and refuses to display and files, read or unread

JPH

New Email
This reply to the OE error 0x800c0133 doesn't work for me. My Inbox states it has 186 unread messages but nothing is visible. After closing OE and navigating from My Computer to inbox.dbx, I can't delete or rename it since "the file is being used by another person or programme" It seems this is happening because the previous keystroke ("OUTLOOK EXPRESS") as well as displaying all the email files also displays the Outlook Express tab. Closing this also closes the display of email files. Meanwhile the Inbox remains steadfastly empty and refuses to display and files, read or unread

Having posted this problem, I seem to have managed to fix it myself. Instead of trying to delete or rename the inbox.dbx file I tried cutting it. It seems this was permitted as the icon greyed out. I then closed OE and navigated back again to the .dbx files from My Computer and there was inbox.dbx still there but no longer greyed out. I tried deleting it again and this time it disappeared! On reopening OE 194 messages refilled the Inbox over the next couple of minutes. Why this workaround succeeded I have no idea, maybe someone who understands computers and their minds does.