Outlook 2010 - is an Ad Free e-mail account required in order to send e-mail?

I have what I think is a simple question - is a Yahoo Ad Free e-mail account required in order to send e-mails using MS Outlook 2010 as my e-mail reader?

I am using MS Outlook 2010 to download incoming e-mails from my Yahoo standard e-mail account. I can download and read the incoming e-mails fine. However when I try to send e-mails, through Outlook, from the same standard Yahoo e-mail account the e-mails get stuck in the Outlook outbox. If I copy & paste the e-mail text into the same e-mail account using Firefox I can send the e-mail fine - but I'd rather just send the e-mail from Outlook.

I've done various searches for answers on the internet - through both Yahoo answers and other forums - and I've followed instructions regarding how to configure Outlook. No change - the e-mails still get stuck in the Outlook outbox.

So I'm wondering if a Yahoo standard e-mail account even allows e-mails to be sent from MS Outlook 2010?

Please advise. Thanks!

Popowich,

:thanks:very much for your quick response! Sadly, I'm still not able to send an e-mail from my standard Yahoo e-mail account using Outlook 2010.

Again - and simply to be certain we're on the same page - I can receive e-mail from the Yahoo account into Outlook fine, and I can both send and receive e-mail using my web browser Firefox. The only hang-up is sending e-mail from the Yahoo account via Outlook.

In Outlook, I go to File --> Account Settings --> E-mail Tab --> Change Button. The Change Account/Internet E-mail Settings window pops up. The server info is:

Account Type: POP3
Incoming mail server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I click on the More Settings Button and another window pops up. I click on the Advanced Tab and the settings are:

Incoming Server (POP3): 995
Encrypted SSL - yes (checked)
Outgoing Server (SMTP): 465
Type of Encrypted Connection - I have four choices: None; SSL; TLS; and Auto.

When I choose None and then test the account settings (back at the Change Account/Internet E-mail Settings window) I can log on to the incoming mail server fine. When Outlook tries to send a test e-mail message I receive the following error:

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

When I choose SSL the incoming e-mail is fine but the outgoing error message is:

Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 554 Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to p

The error message above was truncated by Outlook, i.e. you're seeing what I see.

When I choose TLS the incoming e-mail is fine but the outgoing error message is:

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

When I choose Auto the incoming e-mail is fine but the outgoing error message is:

Send test e-mail message: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Please let me know what you think. Thanks again!

foggy

Valued Member
Hi,

I just set up a Yahoo account in my Outlook 2007 and things worked fine according to the settings you listed above. The only hitch was when I first clicked 'test account settings' while creating the account in Outlook. It received fine, but it popped up a window asking for my login credentials when trying to send the test message. All I did was click "okay" (without actually changing anything) and the test message got sent without a problem.

The one difference, which you did not mention but I have learned over the years might be an issue in Outlook, is that you should put a check mark in the "outgoing server requires authentication" box (More Settings > Outgoing Server tab). Leave the default option selected there (use same login information). Then try it.

If that doesn't work after a few tests, go back to that same page and use the other option (login using the following information) and just fill in the information, even though it's the same info you've already input elsewhere. Outlook sometimes just needs a nudge. That may be true of Outlook 2010 as well. :)

Ok....weirdness, but it appears to be working!

foggy - thanks much for your response. Your suggestions didn't get it working, but it did get me thinking in a different direction. Which led to a web search. Which turned up this.

I opened up a new e-mail and cut the "reply to" address. Drafted it as a test e-mail and sent it. It worked.

What's weird is that now I can send e-mails without cutting or otherwise editing the "reply to" address. I've closed MS Outlook 2010 twice, and re-started twice. It still works.

What's weirder is that the test message function (File --> Account Settings --> E-mail Tab --> Change Button) still comes back with "Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 554 Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to p"

So I would think that it still shouldn't work....but it does. I'm very confused. But the e-mail is working.

Is (was?) it an Outlook issue or an AT&T/Yahoo issue? I'll let you comment on that if you wish. :)