[Opinion] How does everyone like the new Gmail?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
How is everyone liking the new Gmail interface? Both the tabbed inbox and new compose window.

I love the new compose overlay. It fits into my workflow great. Many times I have to reference information in other emails or copy/paste from another email. I can search while still having the compose window front and center. It's much easier than having a separate compose window open.

The tabbed inbox has been hit and miss for me. On one hand, it keeps my primary inbox mostly free of notifications that I don't *need to* see right away. On the other hand I find myself looking through tabs quite often for expected emails which is a time waster.

Depending on how you look at it, my biggest issue with tabs is my Android phone only chimes the new mail sound for the primary tab. On one hand, it's good because I don't get a mail chime for mailing lists. On the other hand, it's bad because when an email I need to see is miscategorized I don't know it's there until I manually look.

What about you?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The tabs were confusing me by causing me to miss some new emails that were incorrectly getting filtered to deals.

I turned off the tabs and only have the primary inbox.

I still have the lab for multiple inboxes enabled which shows all my stars under the main inbox.

I did not need the tabs since I already had a good label and filtering system in place.

As for composing, I figured out how to open the Gmail compose window in the center of my screen, but once I knew I could do that I still only do it 50% of the time. I don't bother moving for quick emails.

The way I have my monitors arranged, and that it's a widescreen, having the compose window open in the bottom right by default is awkward, but I'll live.

The Gmail web interface is still my primary email interface, they'll have to try harder if they want me to leave :)

THERESA

Customer Service
Ray keeps telling me to get a personal gmail account. I still haven't done it. I suppose I should. I have only used gmail for the email site. I log in with the emailquestions account to answer questions sometimes but should get my own.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Ray keeps telling me to get a personal gmail account. I still haven't done it. I suppose I should. I have only used gmail for the email site. I log in with the emailquestions account to answer questions sometimes but should get my own.

You should Gmail is the best, IMHO. :)