New Gmail Display Density

Which display density do you prefer in the new Gmail?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Re: How to switch back to the old Gmail

On a decent size monitor I had to go to compact density to keep all the information where I can see it.

Gmail Compact.JPG

At the comfortable and cozy there were some big spaces between content on my screen.

I don't want my email to look like Facebook messages.

foggy

Valued Member
Re: How to switch back to the old Gmail

My monitor (a 17" Acer, NOT widescreen) doesn't even 'register' any difference between the display settings ! (Gmail said that might happen for some.)

Also, your example above reminded me: I also don't like the icon-only approach to the various functions, esp. with them all being basic gray. Old Gmail has text buttons ("delete," "archive," etc.) which I prefer.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Instead of the hard to read text links and buttons that blend in I'd like something more like these that stand out :

new gmail theme buttons.JPG

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
After a coupe days I've settled on the Cozy instead of the Compact.

Add some color to the buttons and I think we'd be all set! :)

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I'd also like the select all box back where it belongs at the top of email lists.

New Gmail Select All.JPG

Now there is an ad where you tend to point and click with your mouse.

foggy

Valued Member
Kinda makes you wonder just how many Google/Gmail designers wake up every morning with the "change for change's sake" philosophy and take that to work with them ! :rolleyes:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If your screen is tough to work with you may have been automatically switched to touch-enabled display mode:

Gmail Touch Enabled Display Mode.jpg

If you don't like touch enabled display mode, use the settings gear to switch back to your preferred comfortable / cozy / compact setting.