need to set up my smarthost to TWCi smtp servers for gmail

zepcom

Valued Member
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here. :confused: For the past 6 months or so, I had an email set up on my linux/sendmail box out of my house where my cablemodem is to forward messages directly to my account at gmail. from there, the filters and rules were used to redirect to pager/cell phone, or sort accordingly as needed.

This was working fine until recently. Looks like on 2/13/2009, google changed their policy.

Now all the messages from my local sendmail smarthost to my gmail account are bouncing.

Here's the error that comes up:

Code:
from localhost. localdomain [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<zzzzz@gmail.com>
    (reason: 550-5.7.1 [69.204.xxx.yyyy] The IP you're using to send mail is
not authorized)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com:
>>> DATA
<<< 550-5.7.1 [69.204.xxx.yyy] The IP you're using to send mail is not
authorized
<<< 550-5.7.1 to send email directly to our servers. Please use the SMTP
<<< 550-5.7.1 relay at your service provider instead. Learn more at
<<< 550 5.7.1 LINK REMOVED DUE TO EMAILQUESTIONS VALIDATION PROBLEM
7si4440699gxk.110
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

(I've changed the gmail account name and my specific IP's to prevent spamming)

Anyways...

I am looking for a way to actually do what they recommend from their referenced link in that code snippet above... which is to set my sendmail config up on my local linux smarthost to use the SMTP Server for my (Buffalo, NY) roadrunner ISP's SNMP server so that when google runs a reverse-dns check, it checks out as legit, and allows that mail to go through.

Any ideas on how to do this?

• Do I need to forward everything directly to my time warner username (never used it, have no idea what it is!) and then create a ~/.forward to my destination or something from there?
  • Would I be able to update my sendmail config so that I could have all outgoing email from my linux smarthost be forwarded/redirected to the TWCi SMTP servers for distribution to the ultimate destination?
The second bulletpoint is preferred, since that would allow for more future flexibility. The email on my local cablemodem smarthost is strictly outgoing-only, I just want to get it out there to my gmail account. No incoming email other than private stuff from other computers on my local LAN is delivered to the smarthost on my network.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

:thanks::siterock:

--zepcom

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
  • Would I be able to update my sendmail config so that I could have all outgoing email from my linux smarthost be forwarded/redirected to the TWCi SMTP servers for distribution to the ultimate destination?

Hello,

Yes, you can configure sendmail to relay all outgoing email through Time Warner. Here are the directions for configuring a smarthost in sendmail. Time Warner prefers that you use the smtp server name for the market you are in. In my case that is: smtp.rochester.rr.com. Here is the list of the road runner smtp server hostnames. Did this information help you to fix the problem?

-Raymond

zepcom

Valued Member
[/list]

Hello,

Yes, you can configure sendmail to relay all outgoing email through Time Warner. Here are the directions for configuring a smarthost in sendmail. Time Warner prefers that you use the smtp server name for the market you are in. In my case that is: smtp.rochester.rr.com. Here is the list of the road runner smtp server hostnames. Did this information help you to fix the problem?

-Raymond

Thanks!

I dug around and found the Buffalo, NY twci servers. In reference to the "configuring a smarthost in sendmail" link you provided, the "your-company" part is the roadrunner addresses, correct? Not my local private domain?

Thanks!

--zepcom

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes, I'll word the example better. :thanks:

I wrote it while at work. I'll make it clear that I mean "your ISP's smtp relay name"

-Raymond