Need anti-spam program

Steve12233

New Email
Hi,
I used an anti-spam program called "MailFrontier." It was great until it started treating as spam mail I wanted. I found that MailFrontierr, which was sold to another company, makes it impossible to reach support.
So I started using McAfee Anti-virus anti-spam program. But it simply didn't work. I would tell it that an email from a specific address was spam and it would move the email to the spam folder, but it would not recognize later emails from the same address as spam.
I then tried another program, but it insisted on making decisions on its own (based on words in an email, etc.
I want an anti-spam program that treats as spam ONLY emails with the email addresses I tell it is spam. I don't want it making any decisions on its own.
Until it started causing problems, MailFrontier worked just right. I would click an email in the inbox and then click the MailFrontier spam icon. From that point on, all email from that address would automatically be moved from the inbox to the spam folder. MailFrontier didn't mark anything else as spam (until it started doing so for some unknown reason).
Do you know of an anti-spam program that does what I want?

Many thanks,
Steve

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Steve,

What program do you use to read your email?

From your description it sounds like you do -not- want spam filtering software.

Most spam filtering software will look at all of the message headers and content to determine if an email is spam.

It sounds like you would be happiest creating filters to block email from specific senders in your mail program.

This is not good for blocking spam, but it is good for only blocking mail from the senders that you blacklist.

-Raymond

Steve12233

New Email
Many thanks, Raymond.

You're right. I want tthe program to only treat as spam email addresses I tell it to.

Until it screwed up, MailFrontier worked fine. I'd just highlight an email address in the inboxreceive and click an icon. From then on, all mail from that address would automatically go into the spam folder.

This was convenient. You didn't have to go through four or five steps to indicate an address was spam.

Best,

Steve

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What do you want blocked to mean?

Flagged as spam?

Move it to a folder?

Do not show up anywhere in your mail program? (automatically delete)

-Raymond

Steve12233

New Email
Hi, Again--

I want an incoming email, whose address I'd previously marked as spam, to automatically go from the inbox to the spam folder. At the end of the day I make sure no good mail has been sent to the spam folder and then delete all email in the spam folder.

Best,

Steve

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Steve,

This is easy to do in Microsoft Outlook. I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003.

To mark a sender as a junk e-mail sender right click on their message and select Create Rule.

Then click the options for when an email is from X move to the Junk Mail folder:

Microsoft Outlook Create Rule.JPG

I can create similar steps for Outlook Express or Thunderbird if needed.

Did this information help to solve your problem?

-Raymond

Steve12233

New Email
Thanks so much, Raymond. We're close.

What you described is precisely what I want. However, I use Outlook Express and it seems the method must be a bit different.

Thanks as always,

Steve

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Steve,

In Outlook Express right click on the email and add the sender to your address book.

Then do Tools -> Message Rules -> Mail -> New and create a rule based on the From: and the name added to the address book.

Hope that helps!

-Raymond

Steve12233

New Email
Thanks, as always, Raymond.

I think this is exactly what I want. But it may be even a slight bit easier.

If I simply click Message-Block Sender, doesn't this do the tricck (automatically sending all emails from the blocked address to the Delete file)?

Best,

Steve