my safe-mail.net email down

Jeanne Fugate

New Email
I haven't been able to get into my safe-mail.net email account for three days. It is saying that the URL can't be found. Do you know that status of this problem?

VERITAS

New Email
Do you have a phone number or other contact details? The so called 'safe' mail is my professional mail and after five days now I am facing a difficult situation. If somebody is thinking to put them in a trial let me know!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Please let everyone know if you get through and get an update. Some customers are reporting that the phone number doesn't work anymore.

Johny Walker

New Email
Hi Jeanne,

There are several users complaints posted here - Safe-mail.net Forum

There is not an official update from Safe-Mail.net

If you're looking for an alternative, SCRYPTmail is offering a $5.00 service credit for everyone who has registered by the end of the month.

Just been reading through the threads and I am so disapointed that in this day and age...our life line is down...been looking atSCRYPTMail, but not for my requirements..and still in BETA.
I feel for evry one here...and SafeMail...Thank you...been with you many years...but moved on. I can safely say..I tried quite a few providers...in the end..I decided on DDW mail (ddw-mail.xyz)...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Besides being tagged BETA, which requirements were you looking for with SCRYPTmail that were not met?

Johny Walker

New Email
Besides being tagged BETA, which requirements were you looking for with SCRYPTmail that were not met?
For starters, its not anonymous...they have to store traceable information to offer password reset and 2xF auth. Also, there is the self registration. Although self register is convenient, there is no controll as to who registers and what they use the emails for. Even Safe-mail figured this out while implementing backdoors for LE

Like Safe-Mail, there will come a point when LE will take control of this one too, then they will probably also post that 250K accounts violated their terms etc......My question, How do they know those accounts violated their policies other than reading the emails?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
they have to store traceable information to offer password reset

That's incorrect. Resetting a password requires a token downloaded when the account is created. An account can't be recovered without it. No phone numbers or personal information required.

Also, MFA with Google Authenticator is not required. Alternate MFA can be used. The current system has the 2 password option. If you get a YubiKey that could be used instead of Google Authenticator too.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Like Safe-Mail, there will come a point when LE will take control of this one too

It's been discussed previously in the forums. If subpoenaed the encrypted account could be obtained by law enforcement with jurisdiction.

If SCRYPTmail is obligated by law they will provide encrypted information of the user mailbox. Their current design prohibits capturing user passwords. If they receive a subpoena for code modification to capture password it would be reflected in their Canary Report.