my email comes as read in outlook when i use pop3

balasuby

New Email
Hi, i have a pop 3 account and an exchange outlook 2007 account. of late, whenever i download my emails to the pop3 account,ALL the emails are delivered in the Exchange email as read. IT IS FRUSTRATING, TO SAY THE LEAST. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TODO?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Re: my email comes as read in outlook i

Is the pop3 account downloading email from the exchange server or are they two separate accounts?

If the pop3 account is on the exchange server trying enabling Outlook Web Access on the account.

If that's enabled I believe if the email is popped it won't also be marked as read on the exchange server.

balasuby

New Email
Just to clarify. I have only one account. this account is in my company exchange server. I download the Microsoft Exchange server account into my desktop when i am in office. when have to travel, which is often, i synchronise it with a cable to my pop3 account the pst from my desktop into my laptop. when i am away from my office, and mobile, i get all my emails in the laptop pop3. when i return to office and download emails in my desktop, ALLl the emails download from the Exchange server to my pst as read, even though i have not read some of the emails . so i am not able to figure out which ones i have read and which ones i have not !!!

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The following combination of steps should help you to resolve the problem :

• Have the exchange admins enable outlook web access on the account
  • If it's Exchange Server 2000 make sure it's upgraded to SP3
  • Configure the device using pop3 to only download message headers
If all of the above are covered then the message shouldn't be marked as read on the exchange server unless you actually do read it from your pop3 program.

balasuby

New Email
hi, i am sorry but the Exchange Server is in Outlook 2007, which i am given to understand is automatically web enabled. So, the only hope seems to be to discard my POP 3 account and reconfigure it as IMAP account. Is it the only way? The POP3 account in my laptop is also in Outlook and outlook does not have " Header only" option in the email setting. or does it?? can you let me know??

rgds, balasuby

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I have Microsoft Outlook 2003 and can use these steps :

How to automatically download only email headers when using pop3 :

1. On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
  2. Under Group Name, select a group that contains your POP3 account. (the default is all accounts)
  3. Click Edit.
  4. Click the correct account under Accounts in the left side navigation (if you have more than one account)
  5. In the Folder Options section Select Download headers only
Microsoft Outlook POP3 Email Headers.JPG folder options.JPG