Move Thunderbird email from XP to Win8.1

Joe S

New Email
Hello, I purchased a new computer running Win 8.1 and loaded the latest version of Thunderbird. Previously, I was using Win WP and MS Outlook for my email, address book, and calendar needs. When I found that Outlook mail is not easily transferable to my new computer, I loaded Thunderbird on my old computer which automatically loaded all my emails (Inbox and local folders) to Thunderbird. I found instructions to save my profile onto a USB drive which could later be used to input the emails into Thunderbird on my new computer. However, when trying to "import" the emails, the instructions stated "select 'account settings' from TOOLS menu then click on "local folders". However, the Tools option does not have an 'account settings' option so that is where I am stuck. Is there an fix that could be implemented by someone who is getting intimidated by the current technology? Also, will the folders and email that already exist on my new computer be lost when I load the emails and address book from Thunderbird on my old computer? I appreciate any help,

Joe S