Migrating from roadrunner email accounts to new outlook.com (web-based) email

Hi--

Just created a new outlook.com email account and would like to forward the email from three RR accounts to it. I've connected the accounts in outlook but I'm certain I'm not receiving all of the emails to it as I see many in y computer-based outlook app but not showing up to by web-based outlook.com inbox.

Any suggestions??

Very much appreciated...

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Suzanne,

It's better to connect the Time Warner accounts to Outlook.com - Outlook.com - Connected Accounts Settings Page

By connecting the accounts you'll be able to have Outlook.com download all emails received by the Time Warner directly from their servers.

This solution is better than forwarding the email to Outlook.com because the forwarded emails have the potential to appear to be sending/relaying from unapproved sources (according to the sender policies) and the outlook.com anti-spam systems.

Don't forget to turn off the forwarding after you have the accounts connected.

Hi Suzanne,

It's better to connect the Time Warner accounts to Outlook.com - Outlook.com - Connected Accounts Settings Page

By connecting the accounts you'll be able to have Outlook.com download all emails received by the Time Warner directly from their servers.

This solution is better than forwarding the email to Outlook.com because the forwarded emails have the potential to appear to be sending/relaying from unapproved sources (according to the sender policies) and the outlook.com anti-spam systems.

Don't forget to turn off the forwarding after you have the accounts connected.

Hi--

Thank you. But, I have connected my RR email accounts in outlook.com and they don't seem to get picked-up. I can see messages in my computer-based email client that are not showing up in outlook.com.

Am I missing a setting?? When I first conected the accounts outlook.com seemed to pick-up most (if not all) messages from the server but in the last 24-36 hours virtually nothing.

Appreciate your thoughts

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
What is your computer-based email client? If it's something like Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird you'll want to make sure you're using IMAP and not POP3 for checking your email. If you're configured for POP3 you're likely downloading the email without leaving a copy on the server, resulting in other programs and the webmail not being able to see the email since it's being downloaded by your computer before Outlook.com has a chance to get it. Simple rule: Use IMAP for all settings.

What is your computer-based email client? If it's something like Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird you'll want to make sure you're using IMAP and not POP3 for checking your email. If you're configured for POP3 you're likely downloading the email without leaving a copy on the server, resulting in other programs and the webmail not being able to see the email since it's being downloaded by your computer before Outlook.com has a chance to get it. Simple rule: Use IMAP for all settings.

Hi-- My email client is Outlook 2011 and my RR acounts are setup up as pop3. If they're pop3 accounts can I still connect as IMAP accounts?? BTW, I'm pretty sure the check box to leave the messages on the server is checked.

Thank you for your wisdom.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes, you can add a second connection using the IMAP settings, copy the email from the pop folders to the IMAP based folders displayed in Outlook 2011, and when everything looks good and you're able to see all your email from the Outlook.com site too, then it will be safe to remove the original pop3 connection settings from Outlook 2011.

Please be careful and verify you can see all of your email before removing the pop3 settings. I'd hate for you to lose any email while trying to make the changes.