Migrate IMAP

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
migrateIMAP.pl

This script is used to migrate the e-mail on one IMAP Server another. Each users's messages are copied from the "source" server to the "destination" server using the IMAP protocol. You supply a file with the user's names & passwords. For example:

./migrateIMAP.pl -S source -D destination -i <users file>

Use the -h argument to see the complete list of arguments.

If you have a question about using this script please reply.

If you would like to download the script please see How to get the IMAP Tools.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Does migrateIMAP.pl have an option that's the equivalent of ./imapsync -u for taking in a list of usernames and passwords?

I'm interpreting migrateIMAP.pl to be a way of running a large migration from a single script call, that also has some rate limiting, which is better than looping through a bunch of /imapcopy.pl instances and hoping I don't overload the source or destinations?

rfs9999

IMAP Tools
> Does migrateIMAP.pl have an option that's the equivalent of ./imapsync -u for taking in a list of usernames and passwords?

Yes. See IMAP Tools

The user list file (-i <file>) should contain entries like this:
sourceUser1:password:destinationUser1:password
sourceUser2:password:destinationUser2:password
etc

(The field separator character is a colon, not a smiley face.)

>I'm interpreting migrateIMAP.pl to be a way of running a large migration from a single script call, that also has some rate limiting, which is better than looping through a bunch of /imapcopy.pl instances and hoping I don't overload the source or destinations?

migrateIMAP lets you spin off one or more child processes that execute in parallel to increase the rate at which you can migrate users. It doesn't have built-in rate-limiting so you have to select the number of simultaneous process you run based on your server's resources. I have found that generally 4-5 processes gets you the best throughput because more than that many running flat-out usually maxes out the server. "Your mileage may vary" as they say.

-Rick