Maximizing Efficiency in Email

foggy

Valued Member
FWIW, here's an interesting article at LifeHacker regarding how to be most productive in dealing with email. For any interested, the article has a link to the full study (.pdf -- which I haven't read). The article also references an earlier one that has some interesting points.

Maybe this March Hotmail blog post needs to add "archiver" to the list ! :p

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I filter email into folders (labels) as it arrives to I can read emails of the same type at one time. I delete almost ll of my email. If it's a todo list task I'll star it. A couple filters also star some of my emails as they arrive to make sure I see them. There are some labels I'll open from work (DNS and email related mailing lists) but generally not personal emails unless they were tagged ias important. My inbox is really two inboxes, the regular inbox unnearth my stars inbox, and the folders with a couple exceptions are generally (trashed) as I finish with them. If nothing else it helps to keep all of the email of the same type fitting on one page for easy and safer select all -> delete to speed up my reading :)

foggy

Valued Member
To be honest, Ray, I figured a seasoned emailer like you would have his own efficient system for keeping things organized ! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

My own email activity these days is quite minimal, and with the recent passing of a friend to whom I did half of my emailing, I'm guessing that things will crawl to a virtual halt, except for getting online shopping receipts, 'forwards' from aunt so-and-so (featuring political commentary/humor or cute videos of the monkey befriending the kitten, etc.) and a bi-monthly check-in with a friend who lives in Wisconsin. (Nosiree, my email needs just ain't what they used to be. But that doesn't mean I'll give up my interest in reading about the lastest features & services. :rolleyes:) Anyway, maybe the archiving & searching method mentioned in the article would actually work for me.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I get a lot of stocks news in my email. That's one of the labels where I like to skim the subject lines and check-all -> delete when I'm done. It would take longer to search for them and do the same if I was trying to pick them out of a giant inbox. Labels are not really folders though. For long term saving there is the archive button that can be clicked instead of the delete button. It might not be for everyone, but it works for me.