mail.com blacklisted ?

Shamroq

New Email
Hi,

My mail.com account seems to be blacklisted (just opened it a few days ago and I don't spam anyone), is this a known issue with mail.com accounts ?
It seems their smtp IP adress is listed as potential spammer.

Thanks.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

What kind of on screen error message or email bounce messages are you receiving?

Can you copy/paste a complete error message into a reply?

:welcome: to Email Questions!

Shamroq

New Email
Thanks for your reply.

Dont' have these bouncing emails anymore but it was mentionned "does_not_like_recipient" and "sorry I have given up".

JJS

New Email
Hi, I have the same issue with mail.com
This is the bounce back email i get :

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address
failed:

"************@free.fr":
SMTP error from remote server after transfer of mail text:
host: mx1.free.fr
spam detected

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

Received: from mailout-us.gmx.com ([172.19.198.45]) by mrigmx.server.lan
(mrigmxus001) with ESMTP (Nemesis) id 0LeuTr-1UELDS1zO3-00qi7J for
<*********@free.fr>; Sat, 04 May 2013 13:34:49 +0200
Received: (qmail 6917 invoked by uid 0); 4 May 2013 11:34:49 -0000
Received: from 92.18.31.182 by rms-us017 with HTTP
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="========GMXBoundary96131367667287464026"
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 07:34:47 -0400
Message-ID: <20130504113447.96130@gmx.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Snooker
To: "*************" <*********@free.fr>
X-Flags: 0001
X-Mailer: GMX.com Web Mailer
x-registered: 0
X-GMX-UID: AJf2celE3zOlNRvg4X0hTNR+IGRvb4Dp

I also have a hotmail address and when testing to see if the mail.com address worked, the email was sent to the Junl folder in hotmail.
Is there a way of changing this on mail.com or will my e-mail always be considered spam ?

Thank for any replies
JJS

jwriter

Valued Member
Mail.com is doing it again. Their IP address 74.208.4.200 was blacklisted four days ago, now 74.208.4.201 is blocked for spam. That means I can't get my email.

A little background here for those who don't know what I am talking about... If you have your mail forwarded from mail.com to an ISP (such as Comcast etc) then you don't want mail.com's IP addresses to be blacklisted - otherwise your ISP will bounce your incoming email and you will not receive it. Depending on your ISP, they may or may not send a bounce notice to you at your mail.com address, so you may or may not know that you are losing messages.

This is really a bad situation. We really need to tell mail.com to get their act together. They CANNOT allow spam to be sent from their IP addresses - this is just totally irresponsible.

Would appreciate any ideas on how to communicate with them.

jwriter

Valued Member
Thanks Popowich.

This is such a pain because the short term solution is to contact Comcast and ask them to unblock the mail.com server, and the long term solution is to tell mail.com to stop outbound spam from their servers.

Here is a place where the readers of this forum can check to see if a mail server (such as mail.com) is on a blacklist:

IP Address Lookup
Blacklist Check

The question is, how do we know if mail.com is even trying to stop their outbound spam problem? Are there any websites that monitor this kind of thing?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
MX Toolbox is another good site for doing blacklist checks:

MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox

Most likely Comcast can't unblock the email from mail.com since they'd have the RBL's such as SORBS and/or a reputation score check that the mail.com outbound servers are failing.

You can find more information, and try to delist mail.com yourself, but most likely that's not going to work unless it's a rep from mail.com filling out the form:

Postmaster : IPB Removal

Also, you/they won't have much success if there is a ridiculous amount of spam coming form their servers with no effort on their end to try and stop or slow down.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Is it terribly inconvenient to setup your mail.com to forward to a different email address?

jwriter

Valued Member
As usual, good information. Could you help me understand who is affected when a company's outbound servers fail the reputation score check? For example, let's say company xxx has a customer with the email address "user@xxx.com" and company xxx's outbound servers are blacklisted.

Condition 1 is customers who send and receive messages directly through company xxx's outgoing and incoming servers. This can be either by web mail or POP, etc.

- These customers are probably NOT affected when they receive messages, right?
- These customers MIGHT be affected when they send messages, because various recipients might bounce the messages.

Condition 2 is when customers have messages forwarded to another email address, such as user@yyy.com. Customers might do this if they change ISPs a lot for example. Again, they will access company yyy's servers by web mail or POP.

- These customers are probably MOST affected when they receive messages, right, because company yyy might block all messages from xxx.com.
- These customers will probably NOT be affected when they send messages. This is because, even though the "reply-to" address on their their outgoing mail might say user@xxx.com, the mail actually originates from company yyy's outgoing servers.

Popowich (and any others) would you please do a reality check on this for me? Email is not my forte but I would like to see who is affected by blacklists and when.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Conditions 1 and 2 are most likely going to be equally affected. One of the ways to make that not true is if the service provider routes the "forwarding" email out different relays / IP addresses than their general purpose SMTP relays. The larger the service provider the more likely it is that their outgoing email flows will be divided more logically to help make it easier for everyone else to score and keep track of expected types of email/sources and deviations from the norm. As the providers get bigger more complex relationships evolve, delivery policies get more complex, etc.

jwriter

Valued Member
Conditions 1 and 2 are most likely going to be equally affected.

Thanks, you're right. Condition 1 customers are probably VERY affected when they receive messages directly from mail.com (but only via POP, not webmail). This is because their ISP will bounce mail from the mail.com server).

I have my mail forwarded to Comcast and I have tons of bounce notices in my inbox because Comcast is routinely bouncing all mail from 74.208.4.201 at mail.com. But when I think about it, the same thing would happen if I used Comcast to access the mail.com server directly (using POP etc).

Thanks for your input.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Oops, I may have misread something above. If you turn off your forwarding at mail.com, and configure your mail program (or if Comcast supports popping 3rd party servers), that would get you around the blacklisting since you're using POP to download instead of depending on smtp relaying from mail.com to Comcast.

jwriter

Valued Member
If you turn off your forwarding at mail.com, and configure your mail program (or if Comcast supports popping 3rd party servers), that would get you around the blacklisting since you're using POP to download instead of depending on smtp relaying from mail.com to Comcast.

Interesting idea. I would like to know how to set up Thunderbird so I can do this.

My current settings are as follows:

Default identity:
E-mail address: mailname (at) mail.com
Replay-to address: mailname (at) mail.com
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net
Server settings:
Server type: POP mail server
Server name: mail.comcast.net
User name: mycomcastname

To get my mail directly from mail.com, would I just create second account like the following?

Default identity:
E-mail address: mailname (at) mail.com
Replay-to address: mailname (at) mail.com
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.mail.com
Server settings:
Server type: POP mail server
Server name: mail.mail.com
User name: mymailname

Please note both these methods use POP - however the second method is not relaying mail. I'm trying to figure out why I was forwarding my mail in the first place. What would be the advantage of that?