london.com email address service at mail.com to be shut down - Any way to stop it..?

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
Hi All,

First post here.

I just got a short time ago a message from mail.com which hosts the - london.com - email address that on September 28th the domain will no longer be active to receive and send email through the mail.com service.

Just wondering if anyone had something similar happen to them, and if they were able to get this type of thing reversed.

I have a premium account that I pay close to $40 a year.

So of course I'm in a state of shock right now as I've had this address for years with hundreds of contacts associated with it.

Their message was so matter of fact, like "oh well", you won't have your email address in a few weeks it floored me.

I spoke to a customer service rep. and he told me there was some chance that an alternative to the complete end of the service was possible, like people could still send to my address and it would be forwarded to a new one.

That they would be contacting me tomorrow about this.

So this is just insane at this point.

Let U know what happens as soon as I do.

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Johnny.

From what I can see it looks like 1&1 (mail.com) sold the London.com domain name.

The web site is hosted by someone else now, though the MX records still point to the mail.com email servers.

It was probably part of their agreement that the email continue to work until September 28th and which point they plan to move the MX records.

If you get an official reply please let us know.

:thanks: and welcome to Email Questions!

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
Hi Popowich,

Thanks very much for responding.

So I've been going back and forth with them, one crazy thing is they have phone support, but no matter how times I speak with them I can never understand what they're saying because the connection is always so bad...

They must have their phone support set up in a country that hasn't been officially recognized yet....

I have another mail.com account I want to transfer all my folders and messages to and they say something like I need to "setup both accounts via POP/IMAP", then supposedly I can drop and drag folders between the 2 accounts.

But I can never get them to tell what exactly that means or how you do it..

Do you by chance know what they're talking about and how to do that...?

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes, what they want you to do is setup a mail program on your computer, such as Mozilla Thunderbird, configure both the london.com and mail.com accounts in it, and then you'll be able to copy your email to the new mail.com account. This won't help you with anyone sending new email to the old account which will stop working and probably bounce back to sender, but at least you'll have a copy of your inbox and any folders from the old acocunt into your mail.com account so that you won't lose access to that data.

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
Hi Popowich,

That's awesome...

You've jus told me more about how to do this than they got close to doing thru the numerous email and phone calls I had with them.

So Mozilla Thunderbird is what I need...

Beautiful...!!

Got see how that goes.. I'll let U know..

Thank you

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
ha ha...

So they finally sent me a message after 2 days telling me about Mozilla Thunderbird...

So they're also saying I can use Microsoft Outlook too...

What do U think...

Would it still be better to get Mozilla Thunderbird... it's perfroms better..?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Either program should be fine since they both support IMAP.

My personal preference is Mozilla Thunderbird over Microsoft Outlook only becuase Thunderbird handles big IMAP folders better.

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
I see what you're saying.

Would U consider a folder with 15,000 messages big..

Just don't know about these type of things..

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
By big I meant overall disk usage.

You'll start to see the difference around 1GB folder size, but maybe sooner if there are a lot of small emails.

It can't hurt to try both out and let us know if you think one or the other is better at working with the mail.com IMAP servers.

The information will help the next person with the same problem.

:thanks:

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
Hi Popowich,

To be honest with you, I not actually sure I understand what the whole concept is that I'm trying to accomplish here.

I want to be able to transfer all the folders and messages in the london.com account that will be closed to my other mail.com email account.

So I'm wondering why I'm setting up on my computer the email program for the pop servers for mail.com...?

It would seem by this, that the idea is that I would get all the london.com email folders and messages on my own computer, then transfer them to my other mail.com email address...?

Is that in the end what I'm trying to accomplish here..?

Sorry for not understanding this, I appreciate any enlightenment you may bring to the situation...

Thanks very much..

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Use the IMAP server settings and configuration for both mail accounts.

Then you can drag emails from the london.com to mail.com inside your Thunderbird to copy/move them from the old account to the new account.

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
Thanks Popwich,

Yeah, this is all foreign to me. I'm sure you know exactly what you're talking, but I never even heard of the term IMAP settings before so probably I'm going to have to get someone to walk me through this.

Would U know of a link somewhere that might explain this more in detail of exactly what steps I need to do?

Been searching on google and haven't been able to find anything that seems to explain it.

I just never got involved in email configuration things before.

Thanks

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
IMAP is a different protocol for reading your email.

When you get to the point in your setup that mentions POP3, change that to IMAP.

Many providers have a different server name pop.example.com vs imap.example.com

In this case imap.mail.com is the incoming mail server name for IMAP connections to mail.com accounts.

Even though you can set POP3 to leave mail on the server, most people use pop3 when wanting to download their email, and IMAP when they want to store on the server or access it from multiple devices.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
BTW a more direct answer to part of your question, you need to configure both accounts in your mail client, not just the old or new one.

We can make a guide with some screen shots if you think it will help.

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
That's very helpful, sort of gives me an idea of where I need to go.

I'll have to try to get into this a little more.

Maybe I give mail.com phone support another call..

If I could get an undistorted phone line with them that would be an unexpected beginning..:)

JohnnyNight

Valued Member
BTW a more direct answer to part of your question, you need to configure both accounts in your mail client, not just the old or new one.

We can make a guide with some screen shots if you think it will help.

That's great of U to offer that.

Let me see if I figure something out and I'll get back to you.

Thanks very much..

worldofvikram

New Email
I am facing the same issue...I've had my London.com email address for years and suddenly its as though it never existed! God knows how many messages I am missing out on already.

For the moment, I am trying to figure out a way around this and the posts above seem to give me some direction but largely I am very disappointed with the way Mail.com handled this; they could have easily made it such that one HAD to pay to continue using the London.com email address / email domain - I would have very gladly done so!