Locked out of Yahoo mail

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Same process, but a different string that I thought had a better chance of working.

I think the best answer is in the guide we have for Safari (Mac) now:

http://www.emailquestions.com/yahoo...u-upgrade-your-browser-notice-yahoo-mail.html

That guide lists this user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9) AppleWebKit/537.71 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Safari/537.71

Please try that one (after the Yahoo outages are fixed) and let us know if it works for you.

:thanks:

dlbk

Valued Member
I agree she should be able to fake out Yahoo but it doesn't appear to be point and click easy. Overall it's easier to use an alternate browser. Probably better security wise too because the version of Safari Deb is running more than likely has many vulnerabilities in the wild. Opera is the closest 3rd party browser to Safari.

Deb, what version of OS X are you running?
OS10.4.11. :eek: Yes, I know. trust me, I'm pulling my hair out on a daily basis.

I'm not familiar with Opera, though have heard of it. Would that work better than Safari & OS10.4? My Safari 4.1.3 still works, but has been crashing more often of late.

Thanks,
Deb

unixgeek

Wicked Cool Boss Unit
Hi Guys - thanks for your kind attention. It's always comforting when you can hear voices out there in the vast darkness! :cool:
I'm on an ancient dinosaur here..Mac PowerPC G5, 10.4.11 (which is why I can't upgrade to anything)
I have Safari (4.1.3) and Firefox (3.6.25) browsers, but Firefox started acting a bit buggy last year and I stopped using it. previously it was my preferred browser.

My husband got me a Mac Mini this past February, but it's still in the box due to cold feet regarding hooking it up and correctly transferring apps, etc. (not files, I'm ok with those) from my computer. If I could set that up, I'd be running all the latest versions, and have Adobe CS6 (I'm a graphic designer) to load as well.
I was at an Apple store last week and asked one of the guys there about it and he answered in such a way to sufficiently convince me I shouldn't try doing the upgrade ("too complicated"). It's a shame the Mini is almost a year old and hasn't been used. If I could afford it (I lost my job a while back) I'd have someone knowledgeable come in and set it up as I'm afraid of doing something wrong. May I ask your thoughts, (though this Q perhaps should go in a different section) - is it as difficult as the Apple guy thinks?

Many thanks.
:siterock:

Hi there!
If you can point and click, you can migrate all of your apps and data from the old machine to the new one! The Apple guy is making is sound complicated because he wants to sell you a service; he gets paid commission on that sale - hence he has a vested interest in making it sound complicated, since it affects his wallet! :mad: (Perhaps I should start a "why I hate sales people" thread?)

When you turn on the new machine and go through the set up, there is an application that will automatically run called the "Migration Assistant". it will transfer your data, settings and some apps from the old machine to the new one. This is a pretty slick application, it will transfer data from an old Mac, a PC, a time machine backup, a disk image etc. If you have already set up the new machine and chose not to run the assistant then you can run it manually from the new machine. The application is located in /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.

You will need to connect your old mac to your new mac using either a firewire cable or a USB cable, and then start your old mac in "Target disk mode" - Generally you do this by holding down the letter T when the old machine boots up. Run the assistant and it will guide you through the process. This is a non-destructive process to the existing data on the old mac. (e.g. it will not hard any data or applications on the old machine)

Be warned that not all applications will transfer over. You will have compatibility issues with older pre-intel apps that will not run on the newer intel hardware. Also, apps that are licensed will not be copied over. For example, Microsoft Office will not transfer over, since it is a licenseable product.

Apple has a great knowledgebase here:
Mac OS X v10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Let me know if you have any other questions, but by all means get that new mac fired up and running! you've been missing a lot of new features!

Jim P...

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Hi Guys - thanks for your kind attention. It's always comforting when you can hear voices out there in the vast darkness! :cool:
I'm on an ancient dinosaur here..Mac PowerPC G5, 10.4.11 (which is why I can't upgrade to anything)
I have Safari (4.1.3) and Firefox (3.6.25) browsers, but Firefox started acting a bit buggy last year and I stopped using it. previously it was my preferred browser.

My husband got me a Mac Mini this past February, but it's still in the box due to cold feet regarding hooking it up and correctly transferring apps, etc. (not files, I'm ok with those) from my computer. If I could set that up, I'd be running all the latest versions, and have Adobe CS6 (I'm a graphic designer) to load as well.
I was at an Apple store last week and asked one of the guys there about it and he answered in such a way to sufficiently convince me I shouldn't try doing the upgrade ("too complicated"). It's a shame the Mini is almost a year old and hasn't been used. If I could afford it (I lost my job a while back) I'd have someone knowledgeable come in and set it up as I'm afraid of doing something wrong. May I ask your thoughts, (though this Q perhaps should go in a different section) - is it as difficult as the Apple guy thinks?

Many thanks.
:siterock:

Hi Deb,

You shouldn't worry about hooking up your new Mac Mini. It will be a world world of difference from your G5, a positive difference. You'll have so much more computing power at your fingertips.

Apple has come a long way since 10.4. The latest release is on 10.9. It's likely once you get your Mini all setup that you'll get a free update to 10.9.

A majority of the apps on your old machine likely won't work on the Mini. This is because a difference in processors. Apple moved from the old "G" series chips to industry standard Intel chips. That being said a majority of have been remade to work on Intel chips.

If you would like to give me a list of apps you need on the new machine I can point you to download locations. Most of them will probably be downloaded through the App Store included on newer version of OS X. It's just like iTunes but for programs.

It sounds like you have the file transfer down pat. That's most of the battle. Physically hooking up the machine and installing apps isn't much of a challenge.