Junk mail questions

bimfi

New Email
I have a few email accounts, but one in particular has been concerning me. It is from my roadrunner account using Outlook (the older one, not the newest version). What I am getting is junk mail (fortunately it goes to my junk mail folder). In particular these are from fictitious emails such as "Trump" or "Thank you" and others like that. The subject line is most often "Auto Response: Congrats! You've won..." or "You've earned..." and the such. I first started getting them about a month ago. The first thing (and probably the worst thing) I did was to unsubscribe to them.
I have tried unsuccessfully to research this on the web. It almost seems like I alone am receiving these emails, or at least am the only one concerned. I have noticed that most of these emails have a yahoo.com address. In my research, I have come upon websites that promote this type of email bulk mailings. Is this something that is happening frequently to others, or is it something I may have done to provoke this? My short term solution is to make a new acct and to selectively give this email address to only a few. Then I will later deactivate the offended account. I would be really interested to see if this is a problem for many or just me.

Thanks.

bimfi

New Email
I went ahead and made a rule that states that any subject line with "auto response:" will be deleted. I will see if that helps.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
ISP's don't always have the best spam filtering.

An alternate option is to have something like Gmail pull in your email from Time Warner and handle your spam filtering, and then reconfigure Outlook to use Gmail instead of the TW servers.

If you're not married to Outlook, Theresa likes the combination of Thunderbird + SpamFighter

bimfi

New Email
Sounds interesting... Not sure exactly how to do that. Not really "married" to Outlook. The same contacts I have in Outlook are also on my iPhone (which I believe were imported from my Gmail accounts). I will research this. Thanks!