It's hard to put the question here. Needs explanaton

Jackdashack

New Email
I am 65. Finally, my daughter who lives an hour and a half away is getting concerned about her Dad living alone. I thought it would never happen. She wants at least an email from me everyday.

Is there a program out there that would send an email automatically if say the pc was not touched for X amount of hours. For instance I hardly go 6 hours without touching the keyboard. Between doing all my business on it, Facebook and 3 groups on it I manage, and just surfing a bit and ordering it's rare that I don't touch the keyboard at least once every 6.

Anyone know anything out there like that? If not, that would be something for a programmer to think about.

Is there a better forum or place to ask this question? I appreciate your time! Jack ":-D :thanks:

THERESA

Customer Service
Hi Jack :welcome:

I don't know of a program like that but on Yahoo messenger, there is an idle setting. If you leave yahoo messenger logged in on your desktop and add your daughter to your friends list, it will tell her how long you have been idle if she looks next to your name on her buddy list.

You would just have to make sure that when you did anything on your computer, you bring messenger out of idle mode (send her a quick hello or smiley) to reset the idle time. If you forgot, she may worry needlessly.

I think the messenger option is the least desirable for your circumstances. I also don't think an automatic email sent if you are idle for 6 hours is good either. If an emergency arises soon after you get off your computer, too much time would pass before anyone would know there was a problem. In a medical emergency, there is what is called "the golden hour". Patients that receive medical attention within the "golden hour" have a much higher survival rate. Not to sound like a downer, but if you need medical attention, six hours is way too long to wait. They normally use the term golden hour when referring to life threatening injuries but logically it can also apply to things such as cardiac arrest or stroke etc. It can apply anytime that medical care is in dire need.

Have you thought about a home system like life alert or one of their competitors? This is another option that I wouldn't be completely thrilled with because their prices are VERY comparable to a full ADT home security system which has way more benefits for pretty much the same cost. It is an option, but I don't think it's your best option.

How about a complete home security system? Adt pulse has a remote with a panic button on it. You could carry that around to summon help if needed. With this you would have the added protection of a full home security system. We have one and it is very simple to use. That way, not only do you have a way to summon police yourself if there is a problem, but your home would also be protected. I think this is the best route especially since you live alone.

I will follow this up with a link that has a special offer for the ADT system. ($200.00 off and as low as $99.00 for the installation of the system) If you go this route, make sure you use the promotional code on the page for the discount. You might also be eligible for a discount on your home owner's insurance if you get this system.

The monthly cost isn't bad at all. We have had them for 10 years and they aren't one of those companies that jacks the monthly price after your contract runs out. Their rates are increased reasonably in our experience so far.

It wouldn't hurt to call them for a consultation. You aren't obligated to buy anything but you could hear them out and see if they are a good fit for you. Let us know what you decide. Here is the link for the discount:

ADT Coupon Code $200 - Best ADT Coupons, Discount Codes, and Current Promotions

Good luck!

Jackdashack

New Email
Hi Jack :welcome:

I don't know of a program like that but on Yahoo messenger, there is an idle setting. If you leave yahoo messenger logged in on your desktop and add your daughter to your friends list, it will tell her how long you have been idle if she looks next to your name on her buddy list.

Good luck!

What a great amount of information! I know a lot of us boomers might act like our folks did at 65. Many of us do not however. I don't feel any different than I did at 30 something, in many ways better. I take better care of myself. I get up on my roof and clean it several times a year. I just bought a new Dodge Ram truck, not a small compact! LOL Does it sound like I'm in denial. Well, haha, maybe all are to some extent. But the daughter has shown and interest and I'm going to follow up because if I shoo it off her she'll forget it I'm afraid, and I think her new found concern for me ought to be nurtured for the future years, and it's a new one with her considering her past grade on it, if you can grasp what I'm saying by my few words.

I'll think about that Yahoo. Some have suggest keystroke logging programs. I don't know much about them. Thanks so much again! :thanks:d Jack

THERESA

Customer Service
I asked ADT (online while I was answering your question) if the remote only summoned police. They replied immediately. The remote would trigger a two way speaker system between your house and their monitoring station if you have the most common set up.

They told me that the remote can be set up to be used for medical emergencies also. This is EXACTLY what you need. I'm not even your daughter, and this is the one that makes me feel most at ease to recommend. :) I definitely think this is your best option. Let us know what you end up doing.

If you ever have any questions regarding email, don't forget about us. :)

Jackdashack

New Email
Somehow a whole communication to you Theresa got lost. Let me get my bearings again. It was several paragraphs long, now how did that not post????? I'll get back. I am going to look into the Yahoo. Thing. OH, all money things are basically out. I'm on a small Vet medical pension. Very tight. Only the necessary's. I'll repost if I can get my dander up to rethink all I'd posted, now lost somewhere ?????

THERESA

Customer Service
If you download yahoo messenger, there is a drop down box under "messenger" at the top bar.

Select preferences, privacy, and then select your idle settings and make sure you uncheck the box that says not to show how long you have been idle.

You can click on the screenshots if they are difficult to see if you need to enlarge them.

messenger1.png

messenger2.png

Jackdashack

New Email
If you download yahoo messenger, there is a drop down box under "messenger" at the top bar.

Select preferences, privacy, and then select your idle settings and make sure you uncheck the box that says not to show how long you have been idle.

You can click on the screenshots if they are difficult to see if you need to enlarge them.

Thanks! I'm looking into it more! Jack ":-D

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Jack,

Did you go with any of the solutions here or are you still looking for more options?

THERESA

Customer Service
I think sending scheduled emails is a horrible idea due to the fact that your daughter wants contact to verify that you are ok. The system could be sending her emails and meanwhile you're laying on your front lawn because you fell off the ladder cleaning your gutters. Your daughter wants to make sure you are OK so don't pull a fast one on her and send her scheduled emails. :)