Is there a standard format for saving email messages?

islander54

New Email
I'd like to archive most of the past 15 years worth of business related email messages. Over the years I have migrated them between various programs, and each time was tricky due to different file formats that these programs used.

I'm currently using The Bat!, and it gives me the following Save or Export options:

.eml
.msg
.mbox (UNIX)
.txt (Windows-1252)
.txt (UTF-8)
.html​

Which format is the most future proof, especially if I ever have to move to another POP3 client?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

If I had to pick, I'd pick mbox, mostly because I have lots of existing scripting available that can work with that format and convert to/from maildir format as needed from a server perspective. It's a common mail format that most desktop mail programs should be able to handle too. Worst case, if you ever needed mbox converted for a specific mail program, that should be easy to get done.

Last edited:

islander54

New Email
Thanks, popowich. I was leaning toward mbox but wasn't 100% sure. And thanks for the welcome. :D

On a side note, seeing you're from Rochester... I was born and raised in Elmira; my dad and youngest brother now live in Canandaigua. Small world!