Intercepting Outgoing Email To Specific Address

InsideTechie

New Email
Hopefully someone here can help us out with a situation we have ...

Currently, we have a user who is sending emails to a specific email address that we need to prevent from reaching its destination - but without causing an error message (so the user thinks it was received). In preventing its arrival to the "TO:" address, we also need to BCC the president of the company as well as our department in order to build a case against the user.

Is there anything available or that we can do to accomplish this?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, this is all technically possible, but the specifics of a solution depend on what email infrastructure you have today.

Also, keep in mind that it would only work for the mail servers you control.

For example your user could login to a free webmail and still send To: the destination user to get around your monitoring.

BTW, I think your approach could be improved. Check with your company lawyers but it seems more correct to archive a copy of all outgoing email, and then your HR dept can approve the user's manager checking the user's outbound mail flows on request.

:welcome: to Email Questions!

InsideTechie

New Email
We have a very basic setup. We use Thunderbird/Outlook connected to a GMail Apps account. This guy isn't super tech savvy and the chances of him going to another account are slim. Even if he does, by the time he realizes whats going on, we should have enough info to handle things how they need to be dealt with.

Is there something we can do that isn't a major project?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I was hoping for a more advanced corporate mail environment based on Unix/Linux or Microsoft Exchange servers.

I don't think there is much you can do to Gmail as far as outgoing email filters. I tried creating a couple and it appears they are only applied to incoming email. That would have been cool though to find out they would work for outgoing mail too.

Do you have access to the users PC?

Here is an example Thunderbird addon that might fit your needs - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/send-filter/

For Microsoft Outlook (which might be more invisible to the user):

Microsoft Outlook outgoing messages rule.jpg

Use the rules wizard to create a rule based on messages they send.