In house mail server recommendations?

MauriceH56

New Email
Hi all

I recently have switched the files system from Windows NT4 to a new QNAP file server. Now I would like to replace the Microsoft Mail with some other In-house mail server.
Any recommendations?
I am a self taught IT admin, so something fairly simple would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Maurice

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maurice,

Does the mail server have to run on Windows?

Do you have any Linux servers in your home network?

MauriceH56

New Email
Hi
It does not have to run on microsoft, but my clients are running various windows os's.

I have built a linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machine for the purpose, was thinking Postfix. But will need help with configuration. Our web domain is off site.

Thank you

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I ask since I can best support UNIX / Linux based solutions.

I can help with postfix but have the most experience with qmail.

How many domains will the mail server be supporting?

Do you have a list of features and requirements?

MauriceH56

New Email
Hi Popowich, Thank you for your reply.

It will support only one domain that is hosted off site. I dont really care what mail server I use. Features: secure, calendar, contacts, search.
I currently have less than 20 clients, not looking like we will get more in the future. They currently use microsoft outlook, I want to move away from microsoft as much as possible, so eliminating outlook is preferable. I have 2 clients without any email, that I can use for testing.

Thank you

Maurice

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maurice,

Before we continue down the path of an in-house mail server, have you considered using Google Apps for Business?

That's an easy way to pick up the features that you're looking for, and while it does mean a monthly mail hosting bill (that you can pass along to your customers?), please also consider the hidden costs of a standalone in-house mail server such as your time, power, support issues, and general reliability and uptime.

Do you want to be responsible for deliverability issues, fixing blacklistings, educating and fixing customers with compromised accounts, email restores, etc or let a 3rd party that specializes in email services help handle that for you?

MauriceH56

New Email
Hi Popowich

Yes I have considered Google apps, the higher authorities wont go for it... :confused:...

On the other hand, it will be a great learning experience for me... plus, it will make me look good to the said authorities.... :yay:

I have spent the last few months upgrading the whole network, we still had some win 3.1 and DOS machines... My next step is the mailserver...

I would really appreciate your help.... I realize it will be a long and no so easy process... :innocent: but am interested in learning.

Thank you

Maurice

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maurice,

No problem, if you want to build your own mail server I recommend starting with Life with qmail since that's the mail server that I can best help to support.

I suspect that the higher authorities will come back someday asking about the issues I mentioned in my previous post. You may want to make an easy to understand pros and cons list for them detailing the hidden costs of trying to do an in-house mail server "for free" while working on the qmail server.

MauriceH56

New Email
OK Popowich

I really appreciate it. I will start reading and will let you know when I hit a wall.... I should be soon :eek:

Should I keep posting on this thread, or start a new one?

Again, I really appreciate your help...

Thank you :thanks:

Maurice

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Maurice,

Please feel free to continue this thread and leave feedback when it makes sense, and ask any qmail related questions in the qmail forum.

:thanks: