imap yahoo and downloading

anonprivate

Valued Member
I am looking at WinMail (under Vista, 32 bit) and trying to understand what I am seeing.

I see Local Folders

imap.mail.yahoo.com

Lots of folders.

First question:
Are these message stored on my machine, or am I looking at Yahoo through Winmail. I would like the latter.

I have deleted the messages under the folder imap.mail.yahoo.com in Inbox because I believe they are stored on my machine - I don't need duplicates. Howeve,r they have re-downloaded. Can I stop this? I will re-delete.

I got the message that imap mail could not be downloaded due to a temporary error. Can you explain? This problem seems to have resolved!

My aim is simply to have WinMail set up so I can click on weblinks and send message. I don't want to use my diskspace for storing mail.

Advice and explanations please.

A

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi A,

When using IMAP your folders and messages are stored on the server.

Any delete actions you take should be deleting from the server and affect any mail client you are using to read the email.

It's possible that there are some special folders that Yahoo will not let you delete

Also, your mail program might allow you to create local folders that are separate from the Yahoo IMAP folder structure.

I hope this helps to answer your question

anonprivate

Valued Member
Hi,

'When using IMAP your folders and messages are stored on the server.'

What I see in WinMail is a copy of the Yahoo folders (except IMAP). It looks like the mail is transferred to my pc, but maybe its a mirror.

If I delete the files in the Inbox using WinMail. they are still there on Yahoo.

'Any delete actions you take should be deleting from the server and affect any mail client you are using to read the email.'

My deletion was from WinMail. I assume that this is why they are still at Yahoo.

'It's possible that there are some special folders that Yahoo will not let you delete'

I assume that on Yahoo, I can delete anything. I am wondering if I delete from Winamail whether it deletes from Yahoo

As you can see, I am having difficulty understanding the relationshop between Yahoo mail and WinMail that is using Yahoo.

'Also, your mail program might allow you to create local folders that are separate from the Yahoo IMAP folder structure.'

I have not tried to create folders in Winmail using Yahoo
What is the IMAP folder structure

'I hope this helps to answer your question,'

I am still a bit confused, as you can see.

Best wishes.

A

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi A,

Where did you get "WinMail" from?

I see some "email downloaders" listed on the cnet download site.

It appears you might not be using an actual email client that fully supports IMAP, if I'm seeing what you're using.