IMAP configuration

hubba54

New Email
Looks simple enough, in WLM 2011, but it doesn't work the way I expect it to work.
Main problem is that mails deleted from the IMAP Inbox dont go to any trash bin, they simply "disappear". They dont go to the Trash on the IMAP server, nor do they show up in the local folders Trash bin. Not sure where I'd expect to find them either.
Second issue I have is that if I specify the root name of my IMAP folder as "INBOX", which it is, it then disappears from WLM. But if I leave it blank WLM finds it again, together with it's Sent, Drafts and Trash.

My WLM 2011 is not in English, so my "re-translations" of the config options are probably not completely accurate:
Email-account, Properties, IMAP: Everything blank. No check-marks, no text in any field.
Options, Email, Advanced: Check-marked "Use the folder Trash for IMAP-accounts"

Must be some misconfiguration from my part, anyone?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
First answer - With IMAP often times when you click delete the item becomes marked for deletion and it is not really deleted until it is expunged. Some mail programs call it purging instead of expunging deleting messages. Sometimes these options are enforced on the server. Mostly likely the email is still in the inbox/folder it was deleted from and it's in a "marked for deletion" state. It will be deleted when you leave the folder or logout from the IMAP server. Check with your email provider to see if they are forcing the behavior from the IMAP server config. To get around this you could move emails to your Trash folder instead of deleting them?

Second answer - You might be picking the wrong name for INBOX. Other commonly used inbox paths are ".INBOX" and "IMAP/". Try all the cases INBOX, inbox, Inbox. What kind of IMAP server are you connecting to? If you are not sure can you share the imap server name? I should be able to figure out what software is being used for the imap server and guess the likely path for imap inboxes on that server.

hubba54

New Email
Thank you for replying! You must be really devoted to email since you even care about the average users and their silly mistakes. :)

1) I doubt the server could shed any light, if I use another email client such as "Sylpheed" everything works as configured/expected. If I tell Sylpheed to store deleted mails in the Trash bin on the server, it does so. When an email in the IMAP Inbox is deleted it is immediately moved to the IMAP Trash bin. I have not been able to configure WLM to do that. Instead in WLM when I delete an email from the IMAP Inbox it simply "disappears".

2) The mail host is SquirrelMail 1.4.19. In the Web Mail Interface the name of my inbox is "INBOX".

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

From your first question I am able to duplicate your issue.

I have WLM2011 connected to an IMAP server and deleted email does just disappear.

I still suspect it's in the inbox but marked for deletion waiting to be expunged and that's why it it's visible.

I'll see what I can do to come up with a configuration that will allow you to view deleted emails in that state.

-Raymond