I CANNOT POP3 ACCESS MY YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNT SINCE THE JUNE 20th YAHOO MAIL TECHNICAL SHUTDOWN

CHRISMUR

New Email
Hello All,

I also intend to post this message on the Yahoo Mail Forum - but I have not had much luck with replies when posting on there in the past:

I cannot access my Yahoo Mail Account via POP3 from either Windows Live Mail Microsoft Outlook / Hotmail since the Yahoo Mail Technical Shutdown which I believe was from 23:00 hrs on Saturday 20th June [Yesterday] to 03:00 hrs Today.

I cannot believe that this is just a coincidence and has been caused by something else.

When I tried to regain the POP3 access from my Windows Live Mail Account by re-entering my Yahoo Email Account and Password I received an error message stating that the wrong Password had been used - that was NOT the case.

When I tried to regain POP3 access from my Microsoft Outlook Account I received an error message which stated that there was an internal server error - the Error Message stated:

We could not sign in to your POP3 server - Please make sure your username and password are correct

SERVER RESPONSE: ERR [STS/TEMP] internal server error [#OCF013]

I am definitely using the correct Username / Email address and Password and my POP3 accessing has been set up for YEARS.

BUT I suspect that there has been a problem CAUSED by something done during the Yahoo Mail Technical Shutdown - so I assume that this needs to be addressed by the Yahoo Mail Technical Team.

I realise that this is probably a problem that ONLY the Yahoo Email Technical Support Team would be able to solve - But just in case Members have had similar problems to this I would really appreciate any help.

Regards,

Chris

CHRISMUR

New Email
Hello popowich,

Thanks for your reply.

There is NO chance that my Yahoo Email Account has been hacked - I received an advance notice Email from Yahoo Mail which informed Yahoo Mail customers that their Email Accounts would not be accessible for a 4 Hour period from 23:00 on Saturday 20th to 03:00 on Sunday 21st.

HERE IS THE TEXT FROM THAT EMAIL:

We will be performing scheduled maintenance on your Yahoo Mail account from 11 p.m. GMT on Saturday, June 20 to 3 a.m. on Sunday, June 21. During this time, your account will not be accessible from your computer or mobile phone.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this causes and appreciate your patience while we work to improve our service. Please visit Yahoo Help for more information.

Thank you for using Yahoo Mail,
The Yahoo Mail Team

That Yahoo Email was verified as one of my `Safe Senders` / Identified by my Email Program as definitely being from Yahoo Mail.

Also it was an `Information only` Email - there was nothing that had to be clicked onto.

I hope that I have managed to attach a screenshot from the Yahoo Help webpage showing the details of the shutdown in a box at the top.

I am fairly certain that the `Technical Shutdown` / whatever they carried out has prevented my Microsoft Outlook Email program and My Windows Live Mail program from connecting to the Yahoo Mail Server.

This happened once before to Me when my Sky Email Account stopped being able to be POP3 accessed [Sky Email operated by Yahoo Mail] and despite trying to get an answer as to why that happened and how to rectify it I never could.

I then had to Forward my Sky Emails to my Yahoo Email Account to be able to administer them using my Outlook and Windows Live Mail programs.

Now it looks like I will have to set up Forwarding from my Yahoo Email Account to another Email Account - that will mean that all of my Sky Emails and all of my Yahoo Emails will have to be forwarded to a third account.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• YAHOO MAIL HELP WEBPAGE SCREENSHOT SHOWING THE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE SHUTDOWN DATE & TIMES - .JPG
    YAHOO MAIL HELP WEBPAGE SCREENSHOT SHOWING THE SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE SHUTDOWN DATE & TIMES - .JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,371

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

As far as I can tell that looks like it might be legit. Too bad I can't find evidence of scheduled maintenance on their official pages.

To get back into your account, try this link to reset your password - Yahoo! Password Helper

CHRISMUR

New Email
Hello again popowich,

The Screenshot that I attached IS from one of the Yahoo Mail Official webpages - it is from the Yahoo Mail Help webpage - Here:

Welcome to Mail for Desktop Help - If You go to that Yahoo Mail Help webpage You can still see the message that I mentioned at the top of the webpage [perhaps until midnight tonight ?].

Also I think from your comment about Me `getting back into my account by resetting my password` that You may have totally misunderstood what I wrote about my Yahoo Email Account not being able to be POP3 accessed by my Microsoft Outlook or my Windows Live Mail Account.

I meant that these Email handling `Programs` could not POP3 access my Yahoo Email Account so that I could manage my Yahoo Emails using Microsoft Outlook or Windows Live Mail - instead of having to go to my Yahoo Email Account.

The Email Programs could not access the Yahoo Email Server.

I have had my Microsoft Outlook [previously Hotmail] and Windows Live Mail Programs set up to access my Yahoo Email Account and other Email Accounts for YEARS.

I would have no problem accessing my Yahoo Email Account directly - so the last thing that I would want to do is to `Reset my Password`.

Something happened during the `Yahoo Maintenance Shutdown` that has now prevented my Email Program Servers from connecting to the Yahoo Mail Server.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards,

Chris

CHRISMUR

New Email
Hello again popowich,

Thanks for the further suggestion and the Link.

When I first had the situation today where my Yahoo Email stopped being able to be POP3 accessed by my Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail programs I immediately went into my Yahoo Email Account `Settings` and reconfigured the POP3 setting.

When this did not work I checked that my Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail programs still had the correct POP3 information - re. the correct Yahoo Email address - Incoming and Outgoing Server addresses - Port numbers etc.

I then went back into my Yahoo Email Account `Settings` and TEMPORARILY changed from POP3 accessing to Forwarding and entered an Email address for the Emails to be Forwarded to - Saved this change.

I then sent myself some `Test Emails` to the Yahoo Email address - the Forwarding was working.

I then went back into my Yahoo Email account `Settings` and selected POP3 accessing - I waited quite a while and then sent some more `Test Emails` - these were NOT POP3 accessed by my Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail Email programs.

I received the Error messages about my Email programs not being able to connect to the Yahoo Mail Server.

I have attached Screenshots of these below - one of these shows my Email address so perhaps You can delete it after viewing it - "Thanks".

Thanks again for trying to help.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNT CANNOT BE POP3 ACCESSED BY OUTLOOK OR WINDOWS LIVE MAIL.JPG
    YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNT CANNOT BE POP3 ACCESSED BY OUTLOOK OR WINDOWS LIVE MAIL.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,240
  • YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNT CANNOT BE POP3 ACCESSED BY WINDOWS LIVE MAIL OR OUTLOOK.jpg
    YAHOO EMAIL ACCOUNT CANNOT BE POP3 ACCESSED BY WINDOWS LIVE MAIL OR OUTLOOK.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,366

CHRISMUR

New Email
.Hello again popowich,

I wondered if You had read my last message to you ?

If You have can you please delete the Screenshot that shows my Email address - or if as a Moderator you can only delete my message in its entirety I don`t mind you doing that.

I am aware of the `advice` to never put one`s Email address in a post on any Forum - but I wanted You to be able to see the Error message Screenshot and then hopefully delete that Screenshot - ?

As an update regarding the situation that this thread is about:

I kept trying to get my Email programs to POP3 access my Yahoo Email account and they finally did regain access - this was not because of anything `new` that I had configured - the programs [Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail] just regained access - I am assuming that Yahoo Mail Support had other complaints after the `Technical Shutdown` and found something that was preventing Email program Servers from accessing the Yahoo Mail Servers and rectified that.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards,

Chris

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

It's good to hear that it started working again for you.

I edited the second screen shot and removed your email address.

If you see anything else that needs a fix please let us know.

:thanks: