Hushmail - Free Email with Privacy

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I created a Hushmail account this afternoon and like how they encourage users to create strong passwords. They do this by getting users to type in a passphrase that is likely to be a sentence with a nice mix of characters than a regular password where users tend to use weaker dictionary based words and numbers. I have not tried the addons yet but it appears they also have several plugins for commonly used programs. Unfortunately the Outlook plugins does not work with free accounts and requires a premium account. While reading the Hushmail privacy claims this claim caught my attention :

Government surveillance programs

In some countries, government sponsored projects have been set up to collect massive amounts of data from the Internet, including emails, and store them away for future analysis. This data collection is done without any search warrant, court order, or subpoena. One example of such a program was the FBI’s Carnivore project. By using Hushmail, you can be assured that your data will be protected from that kind of broad government surveillance

Am I to interpret from this that since they are outside the United States they will not respond to requests for information from law enforcement or just that the U.S. government doesn't have their fingers into their services?

When sending an email you are prompted for the ability to encrypt the email. It is automatically signed with a PGP key.

With the push about privacy I checked the full email headers in an email I sent from Hushmail to Gmail. They do not include the IP address of your computer in the headers.

Interesting... I'll do a more in depth review after I have been using the service for a while.

Last edited:

foggy

Valued Member
I've heard that Hushmail is supposed to be doing some upgrades to their service, including getting a new webmail interface. Don't know the 'when' or 'what' of it all, though.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I already made the mistake of typing in my passphrase where Hushmail was expecting my email address.
Hushmail Signin.JPG
The screen felt like a confirm your password screen.

I tend to be looking down at the keyboard while I'm typing too.

The result was someone else walking by and looking over my shoulder saw my passphrase.

Some more ways to protect your email address to be aware of :

• Pay attention to what is displayed on your screen
  • Pay attention to your surroundings
  • Be aware of people walking by who can see your screen and/or keystrokes.

hushmail

Email Service Provider
I've heard that Hushmail is supposed to be doing some upgrades to their service, including getting a new webmail interface. Don't know the 'when' or 'what' of it all, though.

Hi Foggy,

We're aiming to have the new Hushmail ready towards the end of the year. We still have work to do, but we're using it internally and it's going well.

After seeing your post we put up an early screenshot to help answer the "what": https://help.hushmail.com/entries/312804-see-the-new-hushmail

More screens & details to follow in the coming weeks.

Hope that helps,

Toby
Hushmail

foggy

Valued Member
Hi Foggy,

We're aiming to have the new Hushmail ready towards the end of the year. We still have work to do, but we're using it internally and it's going well.

After seeing your post we put up an early screenshot to help answer the "what": https://help.hushmail.com/entries/312804-see-the-new-hushmail

Hope that helps,

Toby
Hushmail

:thanks:

Hi, Toby !

Thanks for the information and the screenshot ! :D

Question: is there any chance that Hushmail will increase the storage quota for free accounts ? Two Mb is rather minuscule by today's standards. How about at least 50 or so ? Or maybe a middle-of-the-road service level, say, $10-$15 per year, 200 Mb storage, and hosting of one domain ? Any such changes planned that you are allowed to reveal ???? :)

foggy

Valued Member
Incidentally, I can't quite decide whether the interface looks like Gmail or AtMail. Did Hushmail use one or the other as a starting point ?

hushmail

Email Service Provider
:thanks:

Hi, Toby !

Thanks for the information and the screenshot ! :D

Question: is there any chance that Hushmail will increase the storage quota for free accounts ? Two Mb is rather minuscule by today's standards. How about at least 50 or so ? Or maybe a middle-of-the-road service level, say, $10-$15 per year, 200 Mb storage, and hosting of one domain ? Any such changes planned that you are allowed to reveal ???? :)

Hi Foggy

We're in the middle of some upgrades to our storage infrastructure that will make it easier to have more storage for free accounts. So, that's something we want to review soon, maybe early in the new year. We agree that 2 MB isn't quite enough these days :) Unfortunately we haven't determined an actual number or info on new pricing just yet.

Toby

hushmail

Email Service Provider
Incidentally, I can't quite decide whether the interface looks like Gmail or AtMail. Did Hushmail use one or the other as a starting point ?

Hi Foggy

We didn't use a specific service as a starting point, but in places we were definitely inspired by some of the other sites. But I think when you use it you'll find it to be unique & hopefully very likeable.

Toby

foggy

Valued Member
Hi Foggy

We're in the middle of some upgrades to our storage infrastructure that will make it easier to have more storage for free accounts. So, that's something we want to review soon, maybe early in the new year. We agree that 2 MB isn't quite enough these days :) Unfortunately we haven't determined an actual number or info on new pricing just yet.

Toby

Thanks for the update, Toby. I'm looking forward to seeing the 'new' Hushmail ! :D

CarlS

Valued Member
Hi Foggy,

Hope that helps,

Toby
Hushmail
Thanks for the screenshot.

Interesting and looks really good. I have the option of renewing my Hushmail subscription at the beginning of next year. Depending on how good the new interface turns out I will either renew or switch service. Today's interface is a pain and outdated long ago. I also hope that you not just change the skin but remodel the interface so it works/looks good on laptop screens (which most people use these days) and has more functions...like an improved contact list. It would be nice with a shortcut button or something to the alias-function (the nyms). Some more domains for aliases would be nice also.

It would be great with some sort of gadget telling me when I have new e-mail. There are loads of them for other services.

Only major security objection I have against Hushmail is that all mail received and sent unencrypted are stored unencrypted on the server. In my opinion all stored mails should be encrypted and I have it difficult in understanding why Hushmail doesn't do that.

Last edited:

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I had a Hush Mail account a long long time ago before I had a password manager, so I forgot my phrase lickety split, lol.

Toby are there any upsells that would bring it inline with Gmail's functionality as far as send mail as and POP3 fetching?

hushmail

Email Service Provider
Thanks for the screenshot.

Interesting and looks really good. I have the option of renewing my Hushmail subscription at the beginning of next year. Depending on how good the new interface turns out I will either stay or switch service. Today's interface is a pain and outdated long ago. I also hope that you not just change the skin but remodel the interface so it works/looks good on laptop screens (which most people use these days) and has more functions...like an improved contact list. Todays contact list cannot even have info on the person, alternate e-mailaddresses or even capital letters. It would be nice with a short cut button or something to the alias-function (the nyms). Some more domains for aliases would be nice also.

One major security objection I have against Hushmail is that all mail received and sent unencrypted are stored unencrypted on the server. In my opinion all stored mails should be encrypted.

Hi Carl

The new Hushmail will work much better on your laptop for sure. We've done away with frames and really improved the use of screen space. I use it on my 13" (@1280x800) all the time.

When we first release the new Hushmail to people who signed up for early access (http://www.hushmail.com/contact/preview) it won't have better contact management & more fields yet. We want to get the new interface out the door so we can start getting feedback early. We'll release the improved contacts later, with more fields, easier management, importing (we get a huge number of requests for importing), etc.

I'll make a note of your comments about nyms. We have some ideas too about making the nyms more useful. We can definitely improve this.

I hope you choose to renew & if we don't get all the features out in time for that I hope you come check us out again down the road.

Have a good weekend,

Toby

CarlS

Valued Member
Hi Carl

The new Hushmail will work much better on your laptop for sure. We've done away with frames and really improved the use of screen space. I use it on my 13" (@1280x800) all the time.

When we first release the new Hushmail to people who signed up for early access (http://www.hushmail.com/contact/preview) it won't have better contact management & more fields yet. We want to get the new interface out the door so we can start getting feedback early. We'll release the improved contacts later, with more fields, easier management, importing (we get a huge number of requests for importing), etc.

I'll make a note of your comments about nyms. We have some ideas too about making the nyms more useful. We can definitely improve this.

I hope you choose to renew & if we don't get all the features out in time for that I hope you come check us out again down the road.

Have a good weekend,

Toby
Hi Toby,
thank you for your reply. I've said it many times before, the user interface is crap but together but the encryption functions, the easy mobile access and top notch customer support at a reasonable price have so far been my main reason for being a Hushmail customer but every year the user interface gets older...and there are som improvements that should have been done years ago. I'm glad to see that things will change for the better. May I ask if Hushmails sudden plans of improvements in several areas are the result of a competitive market or that Hushmail fairly recently hired creative people?

hushmail

Email Service Provider
I had a Hush Mail account a long long time ago before I had a password manager, so I forgot my phrase lickety split, lol.

Toby are there any upsells that would bring it inline with Gmail's functionality as far as send mail as and POP3 fetching?

Hi Dan

We have IMAP & POP3 access but unlike GMail ours is only with a paid subscription. Some people want IMAP or POP3 for use on their mobile device - a free alternative is our mobile website at https://m.hush.com/.

Hope this helps. Have a good weekend,

Toby

CarlS

Valued Member
Hi Carl

Have a good weekend,

Toby
The nym-functions are very good and therefore they should have their own button on the front page in the mailbox so its easy to access them. It would be nice to be able to assign different names to different nym-addresses when sending mail. It would also be nice to be able to direct mails from different aliases to different mailboxes. Support for tokens would be nice, like the Yubikey. Fastmail.fm does all of that. A lot of users have those demands since it is very common these days to have several different addresses depending on who you communicate with.

The thing, Toby, is that I see that Hushmail has a lot of potential, keep the things that gives Hushmail an edge and look at the competitors for ideas for improvements. Hushmails already have great customer support and user friendliness.

Btw, could you please comment on my opinions regarding the security of stored mails in an unencrypted format in Hushmail?

hushmail

Email Service Provider
Btw, could you please comment on my opinions regarding the security of stored mails in an unencrypted format in Hushmail?

Hey Carl

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions. Soon we'll be working on improvements to our mail server software that could make it easier to PGP encrypt incoming mail that isn't already encrypted. I can understand why you would prefer it that way. On the other hand many people who are using IMAP or POP like to be able to read some of their less private mail without decrypting it. Perhaps we would make it optional though.

Toby

curvefan

Valued Member
Hey guys, I wasn't really sure where I should post this, but since the Hushmail rep (Toby), seems to be answering questions, I have one. I have a free hushmail account and I use Firefox 3.6.9 to access it. Every time I sign in to this account I have problems with pages loading. Once I am totally logged on, I also have the same problems with the pages loading. Example: I am logged on and try to access "preferences" or any other option within the web interface, even the "inbox". I always have the same problem with the pages loading. The error message is this: The connection has timed out The server at mailserver1.hushmail.com is taking too long to respond. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web. There is an option to select "try again" when this error message comes up and clicking it will sometimes help in loading the page. Sometimes the same error message just comes back. I have no problems with any other web mail accounts from other providers. I use a cable modem and Firefox, so that shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas as to why the pages don't want to load? Thank you.

foggy

Valued Member
A belated question for Toby the Hushmail rep: Will the new interface support the option of composing in HTML ?

I thought I'd add the following suggestion while I'm at it: Perhaps Hushmail, as long as it's upgrading and re-vamping aspects of its service, could do something so that even the free level has something like I have at FastMail: I have an account there that allows for the creation of aliases, i.e. addresses with different usernames using any of FM's domains. My username is an alphanumeric, pass-code quality one which I use only for logins. I then use the aliases I've created (which fortunately are not valid for logins, unlike Yahoo's version of aliases which are) for actual email. They can be easily disposed of if abused (by spammers) without losing the account itself.

This would help in the security department, since even free users (who could be given one alias at a time) could have the advantage of keeping their usernames private (known only to them and Hushmail).

Last edited:

hushmail

Email Service Provider
Hey guys, I wasn't really sure where I should post this, but since the Hushmail rep (Toby), seems to be answering questions, I have one. I have a free hushmail account and I use Firefox 3.6.9 to access it. Every time I sign in to this account I have problems with pages loading. Once I am totally logged on, I also have the same problems with the pages loading. Example: I am logged on and try to access "preferences" or any other option within the web interface, even the "inbox". I always have the same problem with the pages loading. The error message is this: The connection has timed out The server at mailserver1.hushmail.com is taking too long to respond. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web. There is an option to select "try again" when this error message comes up and clicking it will sometimes help in loading the page. Sometimes the same error message just comes back. I have no problems with any other web mail accounts from other providers. I use a cable modem and Firefox, so that shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas as to why the pages don't want to load? Thank you.
Hi curvefan,

Can you get in touch with our support team? They can work with you to see if they can figure something out for this. https://www.hushmail.com/contact/

Toby

hushmail

Email Service Provider
A belated question for Toby the Hushmail rep: Will the new interface support the option of composing in HTML ?

I thought I'd add the following suggestion while I'm at it: Perhaps Hushmail, as long as it's upgrading and re-vamping aspects of its service, could do something so that even the free level has something like I have at FastMail: I have an account there that allows for the creation of aliases, i.e. addresses with different usernames using any of FM's domains. My username is an alphanumeric, pass-code quality one which I use only for logins. I then use the aliases I've created (which fortunately are not valid for logins, unlike Yahoo's version of aliases which are) for actual email. They can be easily disposed of if abused (by spammers) without losing the account itself.

This would help in the security department, since even free users (who could be given one alias at a time) could have the advantage of keeping their usernames private (known only to them and Hushmail).
Hi foggy

Yes to HTML composing.

Good idea about the aliases. No plans at the moment to make them available with free accounts too but agree it would be a nice addition

Toby
Hushmail