How to verify if email is invaded

justme

New Email
Hi all,

I am the owner of a small website since 2002. I am a services' provider (internet based). For this reason, my email is very important piece of my business
In my field (design), competition is not always "clean" :rolleyes: and I am worried with certain "dark" competitors

This is my issue

I track my visitors, and usually, they follow a path --> they visit certain pages--> if (hopefully :D ) they like my work--> they go to the "Contact Us" page--> they click the link--> they send me an email
Lately, I can see the visitors follow the path--> go to the contact page, but I don't receive all the emails or they take a long time to arrive to my Inbox

My website is hosted with Yahoo Small Business (I pay for the site host and I am the domain owner) My email is a website address, not a Yahoo address, and I fw all the emails to Outlook Express

Now the question: is it possible that someone (competitor, thief, etc) could be looking or filtering or stealing my emails before they arrive to my Inbox? If so, how can I verify this?

Sorry for the long explanation and thank you in advance for any help :thanks:

Patricia

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Hi Patricia,

Yes but it's unlikely. Whomever would be looking would have either a) know your email password OR B) modify your contact form to email them instead of you. Since you're still receiving email via the contact form isn't unlikely that it's been modified. Short of those two things it's just not possible. Both are unlikely but if you want to feel safer change your email password at your host (Yahoo).

Hope it helps,
Dan

justme

New Email
Hi Dan,

First of all, thank you for your answer :)

I have not a "contact us" form. I have a "click here to contact us" button and the button activates an email address in the style mydomain@mydomain.com

Does it make any difference?

Thank you again

Patricia

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Yahoo small business web hosting requires that the email is sent From: an email address in the same domain as your web site, and you are limited to 250 email messages per day. Any emails over the 250 per day limit will be lost and need to be recreated on your end since Yahoo will not save them and try to send them later. Is it possible that you are going over the 250 per day limit? To track down any delays with messages that you have received you can post the full email headers and we can help yo track down where the delay is happening.

-Raymond

justme

New Email
Hi Raymond

The yahoo web hosting email info you describe is not accurate :confused:

From the Yahoo page

Yahoo! Business Email allows you to send and receive email messages using a mailbox and a customized email address that matches your domain. Both Business Mail and Custom Mailbox plans offer, among other features:
  • Custom email addresses based on your domain, such as linda@learn2yoga.com
  • Unlimited email storage
  • POP access
  • A catch-all mailbox
  • Mail forwarding
  • A starter web page
  • Spam and virus protection
In my plan, I can create up to 1000 email addresses and again, the number of emails and storage space for emails is unlimited

Can you tell me where did you find the conditions you describe? I mean, I am not even close to the 250 emails, but, by all means I'd like to know if this can be a problem

:thanks:

Patricia

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Emails sent over SMTP from your mail program, and email sent from your Small Business web site, likely have 2 different limits.

I can't find it today, my bad, I should have linked to it in my previous reply.

-Raymond

justme

New Email
Hi Raymond

I think that the info you saw is related with PHP email.
Why won't my PHP script send email? - Yahoo! Small Business Help
This is not my case

I use a common, simple and plain "click here" button --> it opens an empty email form in your default email program --> The service / process of this type of emails is unlimited in Yahoo web hosting (for storage and number of emails)

Patricia

Last edited: