How to structure the folder tree for local emails

GUIman

New Email
Hi everyone,

my question is about structuring the folder tree for locally stored emails (to be clear, I am only talking about the front-end folders, visible to the user, not the back-end technology like MH etc). This question assumes that you have multiple accounts.

Your incoming emails can be sorted into folders in different ways, depending on the tree structure you want to have. The most two commons methods are:

*** Method 1:

Inbox
--> Account 1
--> Account 2
--> Account 3
--> Account 4

Sent
--> Account 1
--> Account 2
--> Account 3
--> Account 4

Draft
--> Account 1
--> Account 2
--> Account 3
--> Account 4

*** Method 2

Account 1
--> Inbox
--> Sent
--> Draft

Account 2
--> Inbox
--> Sent
--> Draft

Account 3
--> Inbox
--> Sent
--> Draft

Many modern email clients let you set up whichever tree structure you like.

My questions are:
(1) what are the respective pros and cons of the two methods?
(2) In which cases may you prefer one over the other?

(Please, do not reply with something like "use whichever is more convenient for you". I already know that, thanks. I am really looking for insights).

Thanks,

GUIman

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi @GUIman ,

I prefer Method 2 because for me it provides better separation of account data. It's easier to understand which email account I'm working with.

I think there a Method 3 that's more common than Method 1, where all accounts/aliases share the same folders. In that case I still prefer Method 2 for the same reason.

DerrickLee

New Email
Hi everyone,

my question is about structuring the folder tree for locally stored emails (to be clear, I am only talking about the front-end folders, visible to the user, not the back-end technology like MH etc). This question assumes that you have multiple accounts.

Your incoming emails can be sorted into folders in different ways, depending on the tree structure you want to have. The most two commons methods are:

*** Method 1:

Inbox
--> Account 1
--> Account 2
--> Account 3
--> Account 4

Sent
--> Account 1
--> Account 2
--> Account 3
--> Account 4

Draft
--> Account 1
--> Account 2
--> Account 3
--> Account 4

*** Method 2

Account 1
--> Inbox
--> Sent
--> Draft

Account 2
--> Inbox
--> Sent
--> Draft

Account 3
--> Inbox
--> Sent
--> Draft

Many modern email clients let you set up whichever tree structure you like.

My questions are:
(1) what are the respective pros and cons of the two methods?
(2) In which cases may you prefer one over the other?

(Please, do not reply with something like "use whichever is more convenient for you". I already know that, thanks. I am really looking for insights).

Thanks,
If you still have questions, you can download the Nova ChatGPT APK Premium app on the getmodnow website
GUIman
*** Method 1:

Pros:

Account-Based Organization: This method separates emails based on the respective accounts, making it easier to manage and locate emails specific to each account.
Simplicity: The folder structure is straightforward and follows a consistent pattern across all accounts.
Quick Access: Since the top-level folders are directly accessible, you can quickly navigate to the desired account and its corresponding folders.
Cons:

Duplicated Folder Names: With this method, you'll have duplicated folder names such as "Inbox," "Sent," and "Draft" for each account. This might cause confusion if you frequently switch between accounts.
Inflexibility: If you have many accounts, the folder structure can become cluttered and harder to navigate, especially if you frequently switch between different accounts.
Limited Customization: The folder hierarchy remains fixed, and you may not have the flexibility to create additional subfolders or modify the structure beyond the provided levels.
*** Method 2:

Pros:

Account-Centric Organization: This method groups all folders related to a specific account together, providing a cohesive structure for each account's emails.
Reduced Clutter: The folder hierarchy remains simpler and more manageable, especially if you have numerous accounts. You won't have multiple instances of folders with the same names.
Flexibility: You have more control over the folder structure and can create subfolders or modify the hierarchy as needed.
Cons:

Additional Navigation: You'll need to navigate through the account folders before accessing specific folders like "Inbox," "Sent," or "Draft." This extra step may add some time to find and access the desired emails.
Potential Duplication: If you have similar subfolders across different accounts (e.g., personal and work accounts both having an "Inbox" folder), it might be challenging to remember which account you are accessing at times.