How to recover missing email and folders in Yahoo Mail

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Are you missing email and folders in your Yahoo Mail account?

If the missing email existed during the last 7 days use this form:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/restore.html

Warning - All messages received between your restore date and current date will be lost.

As of this posting, there was a recent service issue:

Yahoo Mail from 11/25/2013 - 12/09/2013 is still being restored for some users.

There is nothing you can do to speedup the email restores related to the service outage:

Scheduled Maintenance | Email Questions

If you are submitting a restore request because your account was hacked please see this guide:

How to check and cleanup a Yahoo Mail account after it's been hacked | Email Questions

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
If you were affected by the outage in November/December 2013, and did not get your email yet, Yahoo is responding that email for some users may not be recoverable:

Hi,

The restoration process on your mailbox is complete! I hope you get all the messages you were looking for. We did our best with the data we had.

If you don’t see all your emails, it’s because we did not have the data available.

Now that the restore process has happened, we cannot undo it.

Warm regards,

Yahoo Customer Care

cicada266

New Email
on 13, December when I eventually got the acсess to my mail account I found out my email box empty, all emails and folders dissappeared. May I expect to get them back? and when?

cicada266

New Email
I sent this restore form yesterday.
Just checked my mailbox and found some emails and just several folders back (some of them empty). But its just about 5% of total content of my maibox!
Is that it or I should wait for more to be back???

vkuryshev

New Email
Hi, I have the same problem as described above by cicada266: suddenly (after 6hr gap) I checked my account and see that all my emails and custom folders ARE GONE . Looks like a fresh new account except My contacts & calendar, which look intact.. I've submitted restore form, got a case number and waiting for yahoo's team response. Any ideas how it could happened? password I've changed immediately, but I can't see any suspicious activity in logging history - all listed locations are known for me. I'm using Yahoo almost 20 years and never experienced such thing. Any help and suggestion would be appreciated.

librarylin

New Email
Hi,
My husband logged in to find our email account totally EMPTY today too! Years of info, files, photos, GONE! He thought I deleted it, but I would not delete an entire account! It looks like a brand-new account as well, with nothing in it. We sent a request to have it retrieved, but will they be able to get everything back? Was there an update or hack that caused this? How can we tell if hacked? This has never happened to us before either. Very upsetting and frustrating!

cjean

New Email
I may have an answer for you. I recently got a new computer with windows 10. It still showed my e-mail folders I had created for many years, but all were empty.
Today I had to go to the Geek Squad at Best Buy about another computer e-mail problem and I asked them about my missing contents in my e-mail folders.
He showed me they were still there, but I was going into my e-mails the wrong way. I was using the envelope for e-mails on the bottom of the screen to go into my e-mails.
He showed me I should be going directly into Yahoo mail for my e-mails. He changed my screen when I log onto the internet to Yahoo and from there I log into my e-mails.
The e-mail folders now have all my old saved e-mails and I never really lost them when I got windows 10. I was just trying to get them the wrong way. Hope this helps you.