How to keep a local copy of IMAP mail and delete old mail from the server ?

ychaouche

Valued Member
Hello EQ !

I want to configure thunderbird to automatically remove mail older than 30 days from the server but keep a local copy on my PC. How can I do that ?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
That preference is configured using POP3 settings with "leave mail on the server for X days" configured.

There should be no harm settings up both IMAP and POP3 profiles for the same email account while you're testing.

ychaouche

Valued Member
Thank you popowich for the answere. That works fine for mail that is in the inbox, but POP3 has no notion of maildirs so they can't be downloaded.

What I am doing at the moment is I created a folder called archives, locally on my computer, and configrued the archive feature of thunderbird to store archived mail in that folder. Now I select the emails from the IMAP account, right-click and choose archive. Thunderbird will copy them to the local archives folder and delete them from the remote server. But this is still a manual procedure. It would be cool if thunderbird had a feature where I don't have to manually click on archive. The software would automatically archive any mail older than X days (X configurable).