How to fake Thunderbird into sending from addresses that don't exist?

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Hey Guys,

As most of you know by now I use Gmail to send and receive all of my email. However I do like using a desktop client. What I would like to do is pull from Gmail via IMAP this way I would still have it available from any computer. My problem is since I use Gmail to pull from all my addresses how would I 'fake' thunderbird into sending from an address other than my Gmail?

I've been thinking of just creating seperate accounts for each one and filling in the user name and password of my ISP's server however I don't want to hit them 10-15 times every time I check for email. Are there any add-ons perhaps that would help out here?

Thanks,
Dan

yukon

Valued Member
I don't use thunderbird, but there should be a place to specify either a from address or a reply to address in your options. Change this to your intended address, and try sending a few tests.

yukon

Valued Member
it may also be simply titled your "email address" as long as you don't confuse it with your account name (which is often also your full email address), you should be good to go . . . let us know the results.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The subject is misleading. You want to automatically check and send as multiple accounts depending on the To: of the original e-mail, but you are not trying to use nonexistent address as the From: in your replies.

My corporate PC is denying me the installation of Thunderbird. :rolleyes:

I'll get back to coming up with the directions for a solution later tonight.

-Raymond

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Basically I have several forwarders that don't have a POP mail box assoicated with them. For instance my main stay account, dan@bigdan.us is forwarded into Gmail. I'm wondering how I can send mail from dan@bigdan.us in thunderbird without a pop account.

I'm thinking of using my gmail account as the pop and specifiying dan@bigdan.us as the reply to address.

yukon

Valued Member
that might not be a bad idea for a few select high post users (such as admins and moderators. . . .)

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
Does it fix your problem if I create a bigdan@EQ e-mail account? ;)

-Raymond
Actually it makes it worse..another address to manage. :D I may have to take you up on your offer though, can never pass up a good email address. :)