How to create Gmail filters

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

Most Gmail users are aware of labels, but creating labels that work takes a little extra effort.

I prefer 4 settings when I create a Gmail label :

Gmail Labels.JPG

1. Skip the inbox
  2. Apply the label
  3. Never send it to spam
  4. Apply the new settings to existing emails in my inbox
With these 4 settings my email is always filtered into the correct label.

Last edited:

foggy

Valued Member
Re: How to create Gmail labels

Hi,

Sorry to nitpick, but I was perusing the posts and noticed this one. To avoid confusion for those Gmail users just learning about these things, shouldn't the title be: How to Create a FILTER ?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
You can also enable a lab that lets you backup your filters :

Gmail - Backup Filters.JPG

Last edited:

brianllwyd

New Email
Gmail is my email server. Hope you can help - I screwed up with EasyBCD (dont ask) and lost my winmail but had backed it up 3 weeks ago. The problem is that I can't get these last 3 weeks into my winmail.
I have labelled them all - filters dont allow sorting by date. Is there some way of forwarding a labelled group to another email (that I can then pick up with my winmail via pop)?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Most of the time I don't use the Gmail settings menu for creating filters.

I typically create new filters while viewing an email in my inbox that I want to go to a label instead of my inbox.

How to create a Gmail filter.JPG
How to configure a new gmail filter.JPG

Click the down arrow near the top right of the email and select filter messages like this.

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Blast from the Gmail past up there. :)

Another tip related to filters is that a filter can be started when an email delivers to the inbox by clicking the carrot (down pointing triangle) in the top right of the email, and then selecting "filter messages like this" to bring up the filter wizard based on the details of the current email.

Gmail filter message like this.jpg