How to change your Real Name in the new Yahoo Mail

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

To change the real name used in the From: when sending an email from your Yahoo Mail account :

• Go to Options near the top right of your inbox and select More Options
Yahoo Mail - More Options.JPG
  • Click Accounts in the left side navigation, then click Yahoo Mail and edit your From name
Yahoo Mail - Change your Real From Name.JPG
  • When you are done click the Save Changes button
Yahoo Mail Save Changes.JPG
For more tips about Yahoo Mail please visit our Yahoo Mail Help Forum.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
In the latest Yahoo Mail (February 2014)

Go to the Settings Gear and select Account Info

Yahoo Gear Account Info.JPG

Type your password into the confirmation page

Click the link to update your contact information:

Yahoo Update your contact information.JPG

Edit the Name field, then click the yellow save button at the bottom of the page.

Chuck Wigmore

New Email
This answer is not correct - at least not for me. Following the steps outlined takes me to the Contact Info screen, where it says "This is how Yahoo can contact you about your account". The name that shows there is the Alias that I DO want to be used on outgoing email, but it is NOT what is happening. Outgoing Yahoo email shows my real name, which I do not want used on this Yahoo account. A friend has confirmed this, and I have double-confirmed it by sending a Yahoo mail to my "real" email address. Sure enough , it shows my real name. Is there a fix for this??

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi Chuck,

You're right, the way to edit the real name on your outgoing email moved to a new screen.

Open up your Yahoo Mail. Then click the Gear and select Settings:

Yahoo Settings.JPG

On the left side click Accounts, then near the top right click Edit:

Yahoo Edit Account Settings.JPG

Type in your real name or alias name that you prefer to be used on your outgoing emails:

Yahoo Real Name.JPG

Last edited:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
The screen changed again, slightly. Instead of clicking an Edit button, click on your account to see the sending name.

Yahoo Account Change Sending Name.jpg

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Your name is stored in a second location and can be edited by clicking your name in the top right, and then clicking Account Info:

THERESA

Customer Service
Have you tried "account info" and then "personal info"?

Then click on the words "full name"

real name.jpg

Then make sure you have share with no one selected. Let us know if that works. If not, I will keep working on it.

no one.jpg

Last edited:

THERESA

Customer Service
I found something else that may work also. If you are using basic yahoo mail, click on options on the far right from the drop down menu.

options basic.jpg

Then select "mail accounts" and then check to see what the box says for "sending name" If it has your name there, delete it and make sure you click "save" at the bottom of the screen.

sending name.jpg