How freaking long...

mike1977

Valued Member
How freaking long does it take to fix the rename feature? It's been several months now. Just like others..."temporary" disabled...only yet to re-enabled years later, while it has been said working on it. The feature to change your Rift email address online has been "temporarily" disabled for over a year now!

THERESA

Customer Service
What are you trying to rename- your hotmail to outlook or rename a folder? I'm not understanding your question?

Last edited:

mike1977

Valued Member
Well if aliases are going to be able to log in, might as well forget rename feature. The whole purpose was to rename to something uncommon and never use it...just for logging in only, and then give out the aliases. It's a step back in security.

Fastmail has this feature that MS is taking away

From Fastmail:

Why is this useful? A few reasons:

• You can use different email addresses for different groups/people, and then ensure that email sent to those different addresses are automatically filed into different folders, so you can keep them separate.
  • You can create an alias for signing up to newsletters, or web sites, etc, and if it starts getting too much spam, you can delete the alias.
  • You can completely hide your account name so no-one can ever even attempt to login to your account. For instance, if you create your account as trickyaccountname@fastmail.fm, but create an alias of myaddress@fastmail.fm and only tell people about myaddress@fastmail.fm, then people can send you email to myaddress@fastmail.fm, but myaddress@fastmail.fm won't exist as a login name people can try and login to or hack; only trickyaccountname@fastmail.fm which you don't tell anyone about can be used to login to your account.

mike1977

Valued Member
Yahoo has a similar alias feature.

I didn't want to derail this thread with follow up questions so I started this one - http://www.emailquestions.com/isp-f...mail-vs-yahoo-vs-fastmail-vs-outlook-com.html

Yes. But you can log in to Yahoo using the aliases! The goal is to have an email address for log in purposes only, and the ONLY address that will let you log in to the account.

Again...this:

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes. But you can log in to Yahoo using the aliases! The goal is to have an email address for log in purposes only, and the ONLY address that will let you log in to the account.

Yes, I can login to Yahoo with my alias, but it's not the only address that can login to the account.

mike1977

Valued Member
My Fastmail primary address is the 7 character user ID from when I had the original Prodigy. I only use it to log in to my account and nothing else. I made an alias of mylastname.myfirstname@fastmail.net. I use that..and it can't be used to try and log in to my Fastmail account.

They should have an option to let the user decide which aliases can be used to access the account.