How do I use my domain name with an e-mail provider?

Belstone

New Email
I'd like to use my own recently registered domain name with an email service (preferably free but I'm open to other options). How do I do that? I've signed up with GMX.com but don't see any way I could use my domain name. Are there particular email providers that I should consider in order to easily do this? Thanks.

Belstone

New Email
I'd like to use my own recently registered domain name with an email service (preferably free but I'm open to other options). How do I do that? I've signed up with GMX.com but don't see any way I could use my domain name. Are there particular email providers that I should consider in order to easily do this? Thanks.
I just want to add that I'd prefer not to use Gmail.

Big Dan

EQ Forum Moderator
I just want to add that I'd prefer not to use Gmail.
I was just about to say Gmail. :D

Lucky for you, I've been toying around with Outlook.com recently. They have options to both send and receive mail from external accounts. I routed one of my primary domain based addresses to Outlook.com earlier today. Saturday is a slow day for email but so far so good. Sending mail is erroring out but that's something I'm working out with my provider.

The Outlook mobile app is what spurred me to check look at Outlook.com more. It looks like the app does everything. Email, Calendar, attach files from various cloud services, etc I'm liking it so far. It's better than tapping back and fourth between apps as I need to with Google's services.

Belstone

New Email
Thanks, Big Dan. Actually, I'm hoping to use one of the smaller or less-likely-to-be-hacked email providers. I use Thunderbird as a mail program but what I need is an e-mail service (free or paid) that will allow me to use my domain name as my email address rather than their domain. Presumably I'll be able to then run it through Thunderbird. (My domain name, recently registered, is not attached to any e-mail account I have.) I'm trying to get out of Yahoo, for obvious reasons, and now have an account with gmx.com but I don't see any way to use my domain name with them. Since domain registration sites often don't have e-mail services of their own I assume there must be some way to choose a service and then configure it to use one's registered domain name, but for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how.

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
A forum favorite for many years has been LuxSci. They're a good match since you don't mind paying a little each month to get great technical support and the other benefits of a paid email service.

Belstone

New Email
A forum favorite for many years has been LuxSci. They're a good match since you don't mind paying a little each month to get great technical support and the other benefits of a paid email service.
Thanks - they're a bit pricey for me (I was hoping for about $60/year although that might be hard to find with web storage).