How do I troubleshoot inbox deliverability issues?

fearmydesign

Valued Member
When I send email to Yahoo and Hotmail the email goes into the spam folder not the inbox. Verizon recently fixed my reverse DNS. What else can I do?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
I received your test emails. Getting the proper matching forward and reverse DNS for your IP address probably helped to solve part of the problem. The Yahoo test landed in my inbox. Hotmail went to junk but that's because I have my Hotmail exclusive filter set. You'll want to check those and similar settings on your test accounts too. Part of my answer is going to be please take the time to review the following email newsletter suggestions - Top 10 Email Marketing Tips | Email Questions .

A way to further increase the reputation of your outgoing email so it has a better chance of delivering into inboxes would be to create an SPF record for your domains and to sign your email with domainkeys. If the problem persists you'll also want to review the content of your emails and try and make them less spammy, only send email (slowly) to users who want it, check your server for blacklistings, and review the reputation for your IP address at Trusted Source.

Last edited:

fearmydesign

Valued Member
Thank you, but I sent another test email to my hotmail account and I don't have any exclusive filters or anything like that, but it still landed in my junk mail.

Thank you

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Are you sending real emails or emails that say nothing more than test?

Is this a newsletter that many recipients receive, some sort of transactional notification/status emails, or regular emails?

If it's a newsletter feel free to subscribe the Hotmail and Yahoo addresses I sent you.

Create the SPF record. Try another test after that DNS change is live.

What happens if you register a new Hotmail account and add it to your list of addresses?

I noticed in your test to me that you used a new From: addresses. Try using whatever the regular From: address is since it's historical reputation quality will be different than a new email address sending email. All of the tests are originating from the same IP as the regular emails, right?