How do I reply to an email without showing the original message?

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

I was recently asked:

How do I reply to an email without showing the original message?

Hit reply, and then remove the original email message if it was quotes before hitting the send button.

-Raymond

EQ Admin

EQ Forum Admin
Staff member
Hello,

This does not sound like a joe job (a spammer is using your email address as the From: address on their spams). A spammer is not likely to know all of the contacts in your address book unless the spam is being sent from your computer, which is an entirely different issue from a joe job.

You can check the full email headers to verify the emails are not originating from your computer and/or get the source IP so that the spam can be reported to the spammers ISP. If you determine it's a problem with your computer you can take your computer offline and rebuild it. Make sure to install the latest firewall/virus/spyware etc protections when done.

If it really is a joe job then there are some other things you can try such as creating an SPF record that will slow down how much spam other ISP's might receive from the spammer based on the mail servers that you say are allowed to send email as your email domain. That's only possible if you have your own email domain. Some of the free service providers already do this for their email domains. Mostly joe jobs boil down to your email servers needing to handle the increase of spam bounces for some time.

But like I mentioned first, if the spam is going to your list of contacts then the problem is most likely originating from your computer or a friends computer. Check the full email headers to find out for sure. If you need any help reading the full email headers feel free to post a sample in a reply here and we'll be more than happy to help you track down the problem.

-Raymond